TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Glad to hear you got it running decent.

In my experience, these are hot running motors, I only run my OH160 at WOT when cuttin ggrass, other than that it's usually only 1/2-3/4 throttle. It looks like you hav all the tins in place which actually helps move air over the motor to help cool.

I try to run mine as rich as it can put up with, helps run slightly cooler.

I think factory spec is 3500 rpm, but I have no meter to check or tach so mine is all factory setting regarding upper limits.

As I stated earlier, mine is very touchy so I have to set it to where it's not missing, 1/8 turn on the wrong screw and she starts running bad so it's pretty easy for me to tune, it has a very small sweet spot to run well.

• aliwildatwork said thank you

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 10:16 AM

What Tahoe said on the heat. If I'm running it for a Long time, I put a splash of 2 cycle oil in to help a little.

#33 aliwildatwork OFFLINE  

aliwildatwork
  • Member No: 60553
  • 33 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Nathan would agree about the sensitivity issue, he said there was definitely a sweet spot. Oil change and a decent wash down, then a ride around the block. I've only ever driven big tractors like MF's so this will be an adventure for certain. Nathan has wheeled it around the lot and it seems like it wants to go, go go...I'm headed there this morning to give it a whirl.
  • MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#34 aliwildatwork OFFLINE  

aliwildatwork
  • 33 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:09 AM

YAY! She runs and rides....I was so excited I rode her all the way to work and then home. Lots of smiles along the way, and just a few drivers with an attitude.

She bucks a little too. Is that normal? and how do I change the oil. I think I will put a light kit on her to make her street legal, one of those after market switches for a hod rod or something. trailer lights maybe and then a switch?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#35 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Glad to hear she is running for ya.

Bucks? Can you explain a little more?

Oil change- There should be a plug on the base of the motor somewhere, mine comes out the side, I have another OH160 that dumps out the back. When you pull the plug, if it doesn't already have it, add a short piece of threded pipe to get drain out past the frame. Not sure why they didn't do it from the factory.

It should have had lights from the factory. I bought a cheap set of off road lights from Harbor freight. They were incased in a hard rubber outer that I removed, then installed them in the factory location in the grill. Pretty decent for $20 lights. I just put a new toggle switch in the dash to replace the old one. Most tractors came with a small red tail light, but you can add whatever you want.

• Sawdust and aliwildatwork have said thanks

#36 aliwildatwork OFFLINE  

aliwildatwork
  • 33 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 05:45 PM

The bucking...well it feel like a little lunge or a lurch, maybe a boost of power from the govenor? Throttle linkage? Almost always when I was riding her up a hill or in a lower gear. BTW she really doesn't go very fast, I think the 6.7 MPH is maybe a lil' off but nowhere near 35 MPH as I was told.

As to lights, I have two headlights and a rear brake light that seem to work just fine, I was thinking blinkers and a horn to make her "street legal"

Haven't started the oil change yet. She started right up today, pulled my "Float around" just fine. I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of attachment to the wagon to keep the front axle from turning and maybe a longer arm.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#37 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 08:54 AM

The bucking...well it feel like a little lunge or a lurch, maybe a boost of power from the govenor? Throttle linkage? Almost always when I was riding her up a hill or in a lower gear. BTW she really doesn't go very fast, I think the 6.7 MPH is maybe a lil' off but nowhere near 35 MPH as I was told.

Maybe governor, I don't know with out seeing/hearing it. My lunges too, but then I  do pop the clutch :D If it's slighlty revving up or down, could be governor, could be carb needs fine  tuned again? I dunno, just throwing things out. 

As to lights, I have two headlights and a rear brake light that seem to work just fine, I was thinking blinkers and a horn to make her "street legal"

Aahh, I see now, you can add whatever fits your needs. I would do main power to a relay off the battery, then power a toggle switch from the igntion switch which would then turn on relay. The only load on the ignition then would be the switch, the load of lights would go through relay. Same with horns, feed through relays.

Haven't started the oil change yet. She started right up today, pulled my "Float around" just fine. I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of attachment to the wagon to keep the front axle from turning and maybe a longer arm.

#38 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi maybe one of the things thats causing the engine to not run as smooth as it should is that the carb in the picture is for a Kohler is probably a Carter vs a Walbro, that's way the choke choke and throttle cables don't look right. The OH160 carb would be a Walbro LMH, I can not see by the pictures but I'm thinking it is a Tecumseh OH160 as used in the ST 16.

GB in MN

#39 aliwildatwork OFFLINE  

aliwildatwork
  • 33 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 02:20 PM

GB in MN, I'm not sure what picture you're talking about. Yes its a Tecumseh OH160. The carb throttle linkage is definitely different from other members posted pics. Are you saying mine is a Kohler Carb? Carter carb? The gasket kit seemed to fit okay?

#40 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hi aliwildatwork, going by your pics in post 23, its possible its a Walbro carb as they made a few carbs for Kohler but pics show a Kohler carb, Tecumseh Walbro LMH carbs have the choke lever on top of the carb, and the throttle connection is just a flat connector on the throttle shaft, the Kohler carbs have the choke lever/attach on the side of the carb and use the ball connector on the throttle shaft. On the walbro LMH carb the throttle cable routes under the flywheel housing and connects to the gov linkage and the choke come over RH top of the engine and connects to the choke lever on the carb.

Also the main jet on a Walbro LMH is on the bottom in the float bowl, Kohler carbs have the main jet on top og the carb next to the throttle shaft.

Edited by MNGB, October 07, 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#41 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Here's a pic of my ST 16 carb:

HPIM0914.JPG HPIM0917.JPG HPIM0906.JPG

#42 aliwildatwork OFFLINE  

aliwildatwork
  • 33 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Very COOL. Thanks for the pictures and the explanation. Is it reasonable to believe that there may be some unresolved issues because of the wrong carb being on mine? Or should the two be interchangeable? I'm thinking that because I bought the "needle" thinking is was a walbro carb maybe its wonky? My Joe said thebowl gasket in the set didn't fit so he reused the old gasket on my carb. What issues should I expect? If any...

#43 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:32 AM

You can use a Kohler carb on a Tec motor, got a buddy who did it, said that motor never ran so good.

But that being said, you need to have used correct rebuild kit for it so maybe it will work, but you just used wrong parts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linkage, starter, carb