• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brunobruno OFFLINE  

brunobruno
  • Member No: 62020
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 11:28 AM

I have what I believe to be a 1960 DB model 300 HandiMan along with several attachments. The Tractor unit has a white 3HP Briggs and Stratton that I think is the original motor. The rest of the unit and the attachments is a blue/green/turquoise color. The current (original) paint is faded and scratched but not in horrible shape. Should I repaint the whole set up or leave it as is with minimal painting,some sheet metal must be replaced, and if I repaint will it affect the collectability?

Thanks    

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,800 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:49 PM

it all depends on what you want to do with it? show it? use it? what's your budget ? where do you plan on keeping it? 

some people like em original, and some people like em restored! Tom

• brunobruno said thank you

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 08:34 PM

if you just want to stop it from rusting - try and remove the rust only then spray it with clear coat

that way it still looks original

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I like original paint, since original tractors are getting scarce.  The official word in the antiques world is "vintage patina".  Some guys will pay premium prices for "unmolested" finishes. 

Remember, it is only original once!

If it was mine, I probably wouldn't paint it since it is more unusual and in good shape. 

Ben W.

#5 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I say leave it original , then u can all restore it if u get the urge. Just the fact that u r unsure means you like it as is
in my opinion.
Tom

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 06:55 PM

these tractors don't sell currently for any big money, so I don't see repainting it being a value issue.

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 08:03 PM

. . . and if I repaint will it affect the collectability?

Thanks    

. . .some people like em original, and some people like em restored!

The official word in the antiques world is "vintage patina".  Some guys will pay premium prices for "unmolested" finishes. 

these tractors don't sell currently for any big money, so I don't see repainting it being a value issue.

Does everyone see what is happening here? We have frequently discussed the phenomenon of rising prices for tractors and it's effect on our hobby. It starts with one or more persons asking for astronomical prices on eBay and other media. Soon folks start believing that their prices are usual and correct. I'm wondering what the OP thinks is the value of his machine. What is the top price he would pay for it?

Another thing is the perception we have of our tractors. Is it an old machine put back to work? Is it a vintage reminder of another time? Is it a work of art? At one time, folks treated full size tractor restoration as a hobby, a past time. Who would ever have thought that one day these machines would go for a high price and be shipped to wealthy collectors in foreign countries?

I suppose it is foolish to think we can change the course of history or even slow it down. In my own area, it seems that for a few years, I was running into Wheel Horse everywhere. I would find them sitting along the road. Now if I do see one it is a later 300-400 series. An early one from the late 50s or early 60s is going to be gaining in prices.

• superaben, brunobruno and tom terrell have said thanks

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Let me be clear. I'm not bashing the OP for his hobby or his question. I'm simply making an observation on the progress of our culture. I could just as well be talking about antique firearms or custom motorcycles. It seems to go through the same series of events. I just have to figure out what the next item is going to be.

#9 brunobruno OFFLINE  

brunobruno
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Until I found my little machine I had never seen these small units. I was familiar with the larger walk behinds and knew that some people collected them and they might be worth something. Its not that I think I will get rich reselling my DB Handiman. I am just curious as to what other people that collect these for their own reasons do about painting them. To tell the truth I didn't really want to paint it. I like the used look and I don't know what "patina" really means. I do thank Tractorholic for his suggestion about clear coat to slow down the rust.

The truth is I like this little machine because of its engineering and simplicity. I started as a kid working on bikes and lawn mowers then as a mechanic watched as cars and trucks got so complicated you can't fix them without a computer. This DB takes me back to a simpler time when cars had points. My goal is to fix it up, use it, maybe find some more attachments or make my own. Then I will show it off to my grandkids.

Thanks

Terry  

• LilysDad said thank you

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Terry I'm in the same boat as you are . I have 2 DB walk behinds , the one was bought by a fellow I work with from the original  owner , he kept it in one of those portable garages for some time  and now its rusty but must have had a pampered life . The second was already repainted at some point in time . I always wanted one that looked  " like new"   so I'm going to do the one that was already paint , and leave the original that way I bought it

http://gardentractor...ey-57561/page-1

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:47 AM

JD. Rasentrac posted awhile back about an interesting product used to seal metal against further rust. I forget what it was called.

• tom terrell said thank you

#12 Badbmwbrad OFFLINE  

Badbmwbrad
  • Member No: 56325
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:26 AM

I have a 1947 DB (67 years old).  Its original paint job is faded, there's some rust present and it definitely looks very old but it's still very powerful and it has a classic style reminiscent of an earlier time period.  

A new paint job would look anachronistic on this machine; similar to how a face lift would look on a 67-year old person when they're at the beach in their swim suit  :D    I'd much rather see a restoration effort put into the power train such that its still fully functional.  

A 67-year-old tractor/man/woman in great physical shape but with a few scars/wrinkles reflective of honest wear and tear is far more impressive to me than youthful appearance. 

Edited by Badbmwbrad, October 04, 2014 - 07:29 AM.

• Alc, TomLGT195, brunobruno and 1 other said thanks

#13 brunobruno OFFLINE  

brunobruno
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Thanks to all for your advice and comments. While I am still working on my machines 3HP motor, I have started cleaning up the other parts and attachments. I de-greased everything , sanded the heavy rust off, and have clear coated it. Its looking good. Can't wait to finish!

• tom terrell said thank you

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,800 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:03 PM

:wewantpics:  Tom

#15 brunobruno OFFLINE  

brunobruno
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:27 AM

Tom, 

Will send pics when its up and running. Having some problems with rusty gas tank. Still need to rebuild carb. 20 years of not running kind of gummed up the works. Still am learning some new tricks like putting a piece of chain in the tank and shaking it to knock the rust out before coating it.

Just enjoying the challenge. 

Terry

• TomLGT195 said thank you