• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • Member No: 62307
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hello all, I am new into working on lawn mowers and building them up, but i really want to get involved with them. I was hoping you guys could help me out on deciding a tractor for my needs. I am wanting to make put more agressive tires on it, pulley swap, stack for exhaust, etc. I will be using the tractor to plow snow, haul stuff around the yard in a trailer, and go driving in the woods with her. I want it to have plenty of power, but i want it to be a little faster than it already is. (reason for pulley swap) For right now i am looking at a Huskee to build up, or a craftsman.  00202_5U25kXYBEdE_600x450.jpg        00b0b_88TSwGa2Skq_600x450.jpg       

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Either one should work well for you.  Depends what they are asking for each and if they are running or not.

#3 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Either one should work well for you.  Depends what they are asking for each and if they are running or not.

or possibly a sears LT10. Im just trying to get a feel for what i should be looking for. thank you for your help

#4 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Most anything will let you cruz the woods, but when it comes to pushing snow, I would say something bigger would be better. Also depends on what kind of snow you usually have (wet or dry). Will say a pair of lugs on the back will make one do wonders for I got several for romping in the woods.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:27 PM

It is my opinion that you look for something with 12" rear rims and use chains with weights for pushing the snow. Of course, I live in the snow belt and 6" is a "dusting" in these parts. The ones you are looking at will do for all your other needs IMHO.

:welcome: to GTTalk

#6 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:37 PM

thank you guys! the whole weight thing is what i was woundering about. also i am mechanically inclined to a point to where i wouldnt be affraid to swap a motor or transmission and tear into them, so if i have to do that its always an option, but i live in kansas where it snows only a few times a year but are usually heavy snows (4'' plus usually) and it likes to drift around here too haha. im more interested in trail riding and stuff, snow plowing is just a plus. So what should i be looking with, with a 12'' wheel? Cub? and also i want something that has some power i figured 11 hp would be enough but i wanted to just double check.

on another note i really enjoy this forum you guys have been very helpful and i like seeing your guys awesome tractors! keep some pics coming!

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 11:29 PM

Cubs are fine, but kinda hard to speed up if you have to.
Sears, Wheel Horse, and several other manual transmission tractors would be good choices.
Not a lot around CL KS, but if you look around, you might find some good candidates.
Here is a sample of what you're looking for.
http://wichita.craig...4657283048.html

The shuttle drive system is a little different, and not sure if you can speed it up, but they are heavy duty and with the tiller, a really nice machine.

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:25 AM

I will be using the tractor to plow snow, haul stuff around the yard in a trailer, and go driving in the woods with her. I want it to have plenty of power, but i want it to be a little faster than it already is.     

I sounds to me like a quad runner would be ideal.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thsoe are both light yard tractors, not really built for much more than mowing, hauling a small trailer, etc. I have an almost identical sears you have, we already had to have frame repaired as it cracked right above the axle pocket, it never pulled much more than a small wood chipper and never used with snow blade. Actually, I've repaired two of them for same thing, my other Craftsman cracked in the same place, I used a snow blower on it though. The rear's have headl up for me even though they are light weight also.

If you can only work with what you have, check out fearlessfront on youtube, he makes a lot of offroad mowers.

If you can upgrade, look for an older model that has the 12" rear tires ( cub, sears, bolens, .....cough, cough, even JD   :D  )  the rims are usually 5 bolt, the LT's you pictured have smaller tires and just have a keyway and clips holding then on.

For power, you really don't want to change out the pulley to go faster. If you want a little more speed, you need to find something with a really low 1st gear so if you change pulley, you still have a little low end left.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 08:54 AM

wow thank you TAHOE! yes i have seen a lot of fearlessfront videos and i love his tractors (especially his suburban) and i will have to see what i cant find with that in mind! It seems to me that im looking for a heavier tracror than i thought i should have been. Thank you

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 09:19 AM

If mowing is not the issue,,,,  I'm thinking Quad myself...

Edited by sodisr, September 25, 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to GTT. You may want to have 2 or more tractors. The ones you are looking at will mow but not much more. Look at one like this  http://gardentractor...l-finish-sw-mi/ for mowing and all other work. The Simplicities and Allis Chalmers have lots of attachments and are very popular. I have 6 like that one and a few of the newer(70s). Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

#13 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 04:33 PM

ok guys i narrowed it down to either a craftsman 11hp that comes with a snow plow and a rebuilt carb because the one on it is shot ($125 for all of it), or a craftsman 18hp briggs, the guy thinks it needs a ignition coil. he says he cant keep it running. hes asking 200 obo. and the paint on this thing looks terrible it will get cleaned up first thing. so my question is, is the 18hp briggs worth it?        00b0b_88TSwGa2Skq_600x450.jpg    00H0H_cDyn12rA3rT_600x450.jpg

Edited by Boots02, September 25, 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#14 Boots02 OFFLINE  

Boots02
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:06 PM

i bought the briggs! ($100) comes with deck that works too. he says it will turn over but not start. what do you think it could be? got it for cheap i think!

#15 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:13 PM

You bought the red one?  It looks like a Craftsman II.  Price sounds reasonable if the mower deck is good.

If so, then it should have a 3-spd hi/low transmission.  Rear wheels are 12" rims and bolted on with 5-bolts.

It is the last of a well-built breed.

Depending on the orientation of the motor - motor shaft is horizontal (preferred) or pointing down.

I have an 18HP twin B&S.  Runs really smooth, but mine is burning a lot of oil.

Now that you have the tractor, take your time and have fun.

Start with the basics: spark, fuel, compression.