• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gamefarmone OFFLINE  

gamefarmone
  • Member No: 62142
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm beginning a restore on an old Page garden tractor - one that has been left out for years by the previous owner.

In draining all the fluids I noticed pretty good leaks in the rear wheel seals, and after cleaning the hubs off, found out that the "seals" look like nothing but some kind of oakum/fiber packed in around the axles.

Does anybody know if just repacking with oakum will work, or is it more likely they are packed with something else?

I know that some of the older Massey's (and some Fords, too, I think) used some kind of rope for a rear main seal.

Any advice or info?

Thanks,

gamefarmone

• panzersarebest said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to the forum, neighbor.  Whereabouts in SW VA are you? 

The rope seals were even used on engine seals.  I can get some sizes, but its hit and miss. 

This guy has some info on them, I've had this link in my reference file:

http://nailheadbuick...-seal-correctly

Ben W.

• Bill56 and Gtractor have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ! 

#4 gamefarmone OFFLINE  

gamefarmone
  • Member No: 62142
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ben.

I was hoping that the seal material was a type that was supposed to be in there....

I'm old enough to remember tamping oakum in old cast sewer pipes, and then pouring hot lead over the joints with my Dad, and this stuff looked an oil soaked version of the same .

I think that oakum isn't too hard to come by even today, so tomorrow I'll start the search.

I'm in southern WV, not too far from Beckley. After seeing your site, I realized that I talked to you the other day about a FM magneto for the old Wis. that came attached to the Page.

I'll no doubt be in touch with you again, as Nothing in the old magneto is usable except the bottom gear.  Everything electrical, including the distributor shaft, is seized up SOLID with corrosion.

Don't think I've seen anything that full of corrosion since I quit fooling around with salt water marine engines.

Again, thanks,

gamefarmone

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Here's a brand name I remember the mechanics used at the power plant for rope seals , packing material . Good luck with your Page and please post some pictures , Al

http://www.garlock.c...ression-packing

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:43 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor