• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • Member No: 59625
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Went to start my tractor and it's making this noise! Wth? Almost sounds like a flywheel or starter tooth or.... Ideas please. It's a 16.5 Briggs OHV Ic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Jack said thank you

#2 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:49 PM

UPDATE. took out the plug and it sponsored freely so not the starter or flywheel I wouldn't think. I've had no end if issues with it sounding like the valves are out of adjustment but this is far more harsh sounding than that was. Almost like a mechanical issue.

#3 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Is there an auto compression release on that engine?  Sure seems like with a large single like that, it would have one.

• superaben said thank you

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Check the shear pin?(yea I know..I always say that..LOL)

#5 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:15 PM

First let me say welcome to our forum! I have a tractor that does that every once in a while.   The carb leaks fuel into the engine when it sits and then it hydro locks when you crank it.   I guess the real fix is to rebuild the carb.  But I am lazy.   So I bought an in line fuel shut off valve at the flea market for like 2 bucks and stuck it in the fuel line.   Now I shut the valve off and run the carb dry before I shut the engine down and the problem is solved.  Your results may vary.  Good luck with it.

Jack..

Oh yeah I almost forgot.   Check your oil.  If it is over full and / or smells like fuel change it.    That is where it will end up when the carb leaks down.  Fuel diluted oil in your engine is not a good thing.

Edited by Jack, September 24, 2014 - 07:19 PM.

• Alc and sbspence have said thanks

#6 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks Jack (and everyone) that's sounds very feasible. It does that but it's intermittant. I will check this first.
I'm not familiar with a shear pin or compression relief. I know the valves have to be set very precisely or there are compression issues when cranking.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Jack may be on to something, but I'm more inclined to think the ACR (automatic compression release) since on many I/C engines the starter is not made strong enough to overcome compression like it would on other makes and models.  

Does it do this only sometimes and other times start right up or does this happen all the time? 

Ben W.

• Alc and sbspence have said thanks

#8 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Only does this sometimes BUT it never has spun over as quickly as I thought it should. New battery, good connections, started tests ok, new plug,...
This is my second season mowing with it. I bought it well used before last season. I know very little about svc history.

Edited by sbspence, September 24, 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:50 PM

I couldn't tell in the video but if this has over head valves they may need adjusted. Very common issue with the OHV engines.

• sbspence said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Does it have the electric solenoid on the bottom of the carb? I have had many issues with these things and they are not cheap. Just yesterday, my LT4000 would just die. First time fired back up. Then died again a few minutes later and wouldn't start. The solenoid had gave up and was shutting the fuel off. I had already put an inline shutoff in it as it would empty the fuel into the crankcase. Any way, I pulled the solenoid and cut the end off with the 4-1/2" grinder. Stuck it back together and it runs great now.

Pull the plug and see if it cranks good that way. Check for excess oil in crankcase as it sounds like it has been leaking fuel in there.

#11 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 01:31 AM

Thanks all! It seems to have been a combo of several things. I changed oil found no evidence of gas. Replaced spark plug. Found the starter loose, adjusted the valves to .005 on both. It starts and runs. It's still not perfect but it runs. I'm not sure I'm setting the valves to TDC correctly. I'm close but it still doesn't crank over without hesitating a little.

#12 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:25 AM

The easiest way to set the valves I have found it to turn the engine over until one of the valves on that cylinder is all the way open, adjust the closed valve, turn the engine over until the adjusted valve is wide open and again adjust the closed valve.  Saves me a lot of time instead of trying to find TDC with both valves closed.

Of course this is only my humble but well though out opinion.

#13 sbspence OFFLINE  

sbspence
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!
This tractor just started smoking like a Jimmy diesel when I idled down after pulling a fertilizer spreader for about and hour. It doesn't smoke as bad at full throttle. I changed the oil and put fresh 10/30 in it today and ran it for a few minutes and all was well until it got good and warm and I idled down then it started smoking again went back to full throttle didn't smoke as bad but I have a bad feeling. It's blue smoke smells like burning oil out exhaust. Ideas? If it's shot what engines will boot in place of a 16.5hp B&S I/C single easily?

Thanks!

#14 jerry56 OFFLINE  

jerry56
  • Member No: 17120
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 12:29 PM

I had some of the same problems ....I too went with the fuel shut off.....as for the blue smoke multi weight oil 10W30 used to do that all the time in my push mower....I changed to straight 30 weight and it stopped.....I use straight 30 in everything now..have been for sloce to 20 years and have had no probelms...as for what will bold in if you have to replace that engine....MOST of the newer B/S engines have the same bolt pattern and wireing it's pretty easy to find another single cylnder motor to bolt in...

Edited by jerry56, April 27, 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the reply!
This tractor just started smoking like a Jimmy diesel when I idled down after pulling a fertilizer spreader for about and hour. It doesn't smoke as bad at full throttle. I changed the oil and put fresh 10/30 in it today and ran it for a few minutes and all was well until it got good and warm and I idled down then it started smoking again went back to full throttle didn't smoke as bad but I have a bad feeling. It's blue smoke smells like burning oil out exhaust. Ideas? If it's shot what engines will boot in place of a 16.5hp B&S I/C single easily?

Thanks!

That sounds like that carb solenoid is filling the crankcase with gas.