• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:54 AM

I am working on a deal to buy an early fifties Red E and a couple of implements. The only description I got was "it is all rusted into one piece and it is not worth fooling with". Well I love a challenge and that sounds like one! It is a tractor not a walk behind, tires are all rotted and the engine is seized but everything is supposed to be there. The seller's dad bought it new and had it shipped from a dealer in Ohio. He assembled it in their front yard and used it several years in the garden and tobacco fields. The last time he remembers it running was the early to mid seventies. He also thinks he might have all the paperwork that came with the tractor when his dad bought it but that might take some time to find.What would you Red E people offer if it was you going on the above description?

I have three active restores going now and do not need another but in my area these tractors  are nonexistent. My plan would be to store it until I have time to restore it and then show it alongside my dad's Red E walk behind tractor.

• panzersarebest said thank you

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Offer him scrap price if he said it wasn't worth fixing up..thats what he will end up doing with it anyway it sounds like.

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I think worth would depend a lot of whether it's a Page built Red E or an Engineered Products (Economy) built Red E.  I'm no expert on any of the above but I do know that if it's the same as an Economy, then you wont have much trouble getting parts.  Can't speak for the Page built tractor.  I'm with Auburn here, offer scrap price.  It sounds as if it's the best he could do anyway.  I assume you KNOW this is a Red e and you are not guessing?

#4 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I am going on what he told me from his memory. The tractor is at his brothers house two hours away from us. He says it has Red E tags on it but that is about it from what he remembers. He told me this morning that a few years ago he tried to separate the wheels from it and they were rusted together. This may take a while but I think I will chase it a while. He is building a retirement home  near his brother so I will ask him to get me some pics the next time he goes up there. The only dealings I have had with Red E's is helping with my dad's walk behind so this is all new to me. It was kinda dropped on me in a garden tractor discussion when he was on my jobsite.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Kind of sounds like the kind of project that makes you wish you had a pit in the garage that is full of penetrating oil where you could leave the thing sit until you can get to it.  Good luck with this one.  Any Red E is worth at least an attempt at fixing up.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Can't argue with the tags!

• MH81 said thank you

#6 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:54 PM

Any Red-E is worth saving.

I was told this tractor was not worth saving by some. But it has alot of life left

Attached Thumbnails

• rusty1.jpg
  • rusty3.jpg

Edited by bread320i, September 24, 2014 - 05:55 PM.

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Adam, is that the same tractor in both pictures?!?

If it is, relocate to VA and I'll give you a job down here.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#8 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Ben, yes it is.