• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Is there any way to help spray paint cure faster? I'm going to spray paint some engine tins and was just curious.

#2 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:34 PM

If you are using enamel paint from a can, you can usually buy some hardener that is compatible with the enamel.

If you have a dark color, let it dry to where it's not tacky, then put it in direct sunlight to warm it up. 

Use lacquer instead of enamel.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,719 Thanks
  • 2,170 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Warm up the room where you are painting in, 90 to 100 degrees is preferable for curing paint.  don't rush the process thou, if you do you will regret it.  even thou the paint may be dry tot he touch you should still give it 24 to 36 hours to cure before you put it to use and polish it.

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:37 AM

Temperature! It goes down better and dries/cures faster when the temp is at 80f or more IME. It's a big challenge for me because I don't have a heated work space other then the basement and the fumes aren't welcome in the house. I just painted a JD fenderdeck for a 317. The JD paint said to apply at approx. 24C which is 75f. This time of year it's hard to get the garage up to that temp. After a week or so I got a warm day that got close to that and it went down pretty well and hardened up nicely.  If it gets below 60f it will really start to give you issues and sometimes will not harden properly and won't shine at all.

• Gabriel said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:55 AM

Let the parts sit a day after painting them, them spray a fine mist of standard water over them. PAT DRY!!! Do not wipe them dry. The water should be at room temperature, and can be sprayed wither from an empty bottle, or just let the water run over the parts from your garden hose. Just be sure not to use cold water, as this might cause the fresh paint to lift. This will not only aid in the curing time, but will also aid in giving you a nice shine, depending on how much paint you applied. 

• limebuzz, WHdbJD and Gabriel have said thanks

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:59 AM

Set the items under a halogen work  lamp or any other hot lamp to bake them.  You can also set them in the oven at low temperature while the other half is not home.  I have also added hardener to alkyd paints to give a harder finish when doing a $40 paint job on a pickup truck. Spray tin paint only gets so hard....

Edited by Jazz, September 24, 2014 - 06:01 AM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#7 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:23 AM

The warmer the better.

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Let the parts sit a day after painting them, them spray a fine mist of standard water over them

Correct   If your 16 years old and paint the roof of your 1965 Chevy Nova and  use  water the day you paint it , you'll the a finish that looks like a vinyl top :wallbanging:

• JDBrian, Cvans, panzersarebest and 1 other said thanks