• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Well the nights here are starting to cool off, so I figured I better get the soy beans turned under and prepare for rye planting. This piece of ground is a sandy loam and really needed a boost. It had not been planted for close to 15 years so I plowed it up this spring and planted the soy beans for green manure. Will get the rye in this weekend I hope to add to the green biomass and hope the maters thank me for it. I knocked it down with the disk for the beans were about waist high. I have since plowed it under for the microbes to start work on it.

100_3812_zps21b2e350.jpg

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:36 PM

As soon as it dries enough I'll start putting manure on the garden and flower beds. Also will start vaccing up leaves to put on them and then till the garden and keep it wet 'til freezeup.
Mike
  • Gabriel and junkman have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Does the soy beans do a good job of keeping weeds out or did you have to spray or other means for control ?  

• Gabriel and junkman have said thanks

#4 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Does the soy beans do a good job of keeping weeds out or did you have to spray or other means for control ?  

Alc, no I did not spray these beans to keep the weeds down. I got then broadcasted with the spreader behind the GT at the beginning of a few weeks of dry weather. I lightly disked them in and got a good stand growing before many weeds could outgrow them. Did get a little foxtail but not bad. Will say this was sod this spring before plowing it up, so that might have a bearing on the results. This patch will get rye planted in it in a week or so to be plowed under again in the spring. Should make a thousand mater plants grow good. 

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks