• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 12:17 PM

I know I have talked about this before.  But my Hydro Whines really loud under load, or at anywhere other than full speed.

This winter I would consider taking it down and repair/rebuild if there is a known fix.

Is there something that can be done to tame down the noise?  Is there some adjustment that is out of spec?  Some thing wore out inside loosening up tolerances?

I love this tractor.  Its a brute, but its noisy.

Thank you, 

Conrad

• fogler12538 said thank you

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Well there are a lot of different things that could cause this. Let's try and get it narrowed down;
1) at an idle in neutral raise and lower does it make noise? If so make sure that the fluid is full and the proper stuff. Also be sure the filter is good. Proper fluid should be a good hy-trans fluid with a AW 68 rating
2) next thing to check is to be sure your fender pan isolators are all good ans the pedals dont touch it.
These are the easy things to do. After this and still noisy is going to require dis assembly of the hydro unit for inspection.

#3 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I took cylinder off it was leaking. But it never whined using it before I took it off.
When I got it running last year after I got it from my brother it whined so I went to Ford NH and got the expensive fluid and filter and changed it. No different after change. My brother said it was noisy when he had it too. Mentioned he wore ear plugs.

Now the seat pan/fenders are solid mounted with washers from the previous owner. 

Thanks

PS I used NH Ambra Multi G 134.   Is there something better?

Edited by milkdud, September 23, 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 03:20 AM

That will work but is a bit thin for these units. A good basic AW 32 to AW 68 hydraulic oil would be better. But you MUST ISOLATE THE FENDER PAN that thing is a HUGE cymbal ringing out your hydro's work song LOL.

#5 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:06 AM

What is AW?  And what are a good source of rubber mounts that I can use?  I doubt the originals are around, and Im guessing if they are they are expensive.

I work on old mercury outboards and in 1965 Mercury went to rubber isolators inside the cowling.  They wear out too and are $$ to replace.

Thanks

COnrad

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:27 AM

What is AW?  And what are a good source of rubber mounts that I can use?  I doubt the originals are around, and Im guessing if they are they are expensive.

I work on old mercury outboards and in 1965 Mercury went to rubber isolators inside the cowling.  They wear out too and are $$ to replace.

Thanks

COnrad

On the mounts, McMaster-Carr has them or these folks.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:27 AM

AW stands for anti-ware
Isolators; 1" tall with 5/16" studs for rear and 3/4" tall 1/4" stud units for the footrest mounts.

Edited by skyrydr2, September 24, 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#8 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Ok I dumped the Multi G 134 and replaced it with AW 68 today.   The G 134 was crystal clean, I just put it in there last fall.    Very small  amount of fine black stuff on the magnet/plug.

The AW 68 did nothing for the Whine.   So I guess I can try the Isolators, but I have a feeling that they will only do so much.  I predict only a 20% reduction.

Here is a video of my tractor in LOW gear going up a hill.  Crank you computer, the audio does not do it justice.  The cell phone auto adjusts and tones loud audio down.

It whines at any speed EXCEPT FULL FWD.     Any feathering of they hydro control and it whines.  ANY RPM it does it.  Only gets quiet when you go FULL SPEED.

It sounds like a skid loader under a huge load.   I ran skid loaders for quite a few years.

Here is the video:  

Conrad

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 07:48 PM

It may be the nature of the beast? My open side machine is very quiet but I also replaced my pump unit with a newer unit that has all the fancy options inside. If you want to make it quiet it will need to be updated to a late model unit.
Does it have any hesitation or feels mushy in high ? if so it has internal damage somewhere and would need to be torn down or replaced or both if your a curious fellow like me. They are not really serviceable any longer so getting parts will be a real pain
If it works really good but just noisy.. i would leave well enough alone ans just run it.

#10 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 08:24 PM

It has no hesitation and works just fine except the noise.  

If you want to make it quiet it will need to be updated to a late model unit.

What do I look for?

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 03:38 AM

LGT 17H by Gilson, is one Iknow of. LLawn boy with the same 17H in the title Whites, Craftsman FF Just about any of the heavier late model machines of the late 80s and up to the late 90s that were hydro's would be candidates But yyou need to be sure it is an Eaton 11 and had a ccw rotation when facing the input shaft. Cub Cadet never used them as well as Deere as far as I know. Bolens had some in the later models as well as WheelHorse/Toro and they had them both shaft and belt driven.
  • milkdud said thank you

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 02:57 PM

My BMP has a noticeable wine also, I do have the rubber mounts. He especially wined this morning when I had to tow the Masada back up the hill after my son tried to cost start it. The negative battery cable broke off. The hill is about 100 yards of slight incline, took off on HI, but half way up the engine started lagging and I slammed Lo. Overall BMP pulled great. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1100863.JPG
  • P1100866.JPG