• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • Member No: 43438
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 12:13 PM

While watching the volts on my charging system it seems like the ignition takes more juice than the stator produces at idle.

Does that sound right?

At idle my volt meter cruises under 12 volts.  I have to bump the throttle up to get it above 12 volts.  And it has to be running at 1/4 throttle or more to get it in the 13.5-14 volt area.  It has a new regulator.

Is it normal for the volts to run low when idling?

Thanks

Conrad

#2 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yes, that's normal.
You're not supposed to be running the tractor below full throttle anyway.

Joe
  • milkdud said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:42 PM

You don't need to run these at full bore by any means!! They will even now good at half-2/3rds throttle. A volt meter can be deceiving . I have both on my diesel and just an amp meter on my open sided 125.
  • milkdud said thank you

#4 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I dont mow with this thing. Only pull a trailer around the yard picking up stuff. Do when I get off I let it idle sometimes. When its ideling its below 12 V.

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 03:02 AM

That may be normal? When this is happening you need to take a voltmeter and check at the battery terminals to verify the reading on the gage. If the battery has more voltage than the gage, your point of B+ is on a loaded tap and being drawn down . change that pickup point to one that reads the same as the battery. If thevolt meter is the same as the gage then you may have a weak battery.
  • milkdud said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 02:38 PM

I normally leave BMP at 2/3 throttle all the time, rarely idle, actually this is the first time I have idled him. Stays at 14 volts. I only tow a trailer also. You didn't mention if the lights were on. I did have to replace the connectors on the voltage regulator back when, as they were corroded and caused a no charge condition.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#7 milkdud OFFLINE  

milkdud
  • 66 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:36 PM

no lights

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Do manufactures give specs for charging ? Like 2 amps at 1000 rpms   8 amps at 2000 ect ?

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Do manufactures give specs for charging ? Like 2 amps at 1000 rpms   8 amps at 2000 ect ?

I've only seen the ALT specked on the Briggs engines, I am pretty sure the 14hp Kohler is rated at 15A, and I assume at full RPM. I suspect the voltage regulator may be defective as it should hold the voltage at 14V with no-load other than the ignition.

• Alc said thank you

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 03:52 AM

You first need to check the alternator , this is behind the flywheel and has 2 light blluewires coming from it that feed the regulator/ rectifier. With these wires unplugged connect your voltage meter to them set on A/C voltage! Start engine and run it up to half throttle say, you should have at least 24-30 volts and at full throttle it should be 32-40v max. You must connect to both wires as it is A/C voltage and isolated from the rest of the tractor.
The regulator/rectifier then needs the middle red wire to have a really good connection to B+ to trigger it to rectify the a/c voltage to d/c, then it will back feed through the same red wire and charge the system.
All this current goes through the ignition switch , this is why they must be in good condition.
  • Alc said thank you