408 replies to this topic

#376 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:50 AM

Test driving TODAY !!   Todays picture shows the new rear axle extensions I cut out , welded  and drilled yesterday and mounted to the Gator . This is the first time these wheels have been attached to the Cub Cadet axle . I will do a short test drive to adjust the hydro control lever and back it in the shop to get goingon raising the front suspension 6 inches. Then I can get going on the design for the roll bars and roof.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaaxle2.jpg

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#377 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished!

#378 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks ,

Lift kit !!, today I removed the front suspension and tweaked the swing arms , built new front shock mounts and tweaked the tie rods. Now the front sits up much nicer and the Gator looks much nicer overall. Next project the Gator gets a roof !!

Attached Thumbnails

• aaafrontlift.jpg

• backwoods said thank you

#379 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:28 AM

That was quick work. How does it drive?

#380 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Haven't test drove it yet with the front lift kit.

todays progress picture shows the first roll bars cut and tack welded together. Also I cut part of the longer roof off to see how this shorter version might look more sporty. The roll bars and the roof will all be black when it is done. Nothing fancy but another fun challenge.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagatorroof1.jpg

• Cvans and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#381 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 01:38 PM

I got the rollbars and the roof painted black today and I think it looks better than the green. My little grandson and I will have fun on this oversized slow moving Cub Cadet Powered gocart , ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaapaintedroof.jpg

• backwoods, MolonLabe and alec have said thanks

#382 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Video when you get it outside please.

#383 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Oh Yea , I'll share the video soon. Last night I mounted 4 overhead lights on the inside crossbar. Today I will build railings for the sides of the dump box and add a couple more cross bars on the rear of the rollbar. Also I will add rear mudflaps today.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagatorlights.jpg

• backwoods and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#384 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Todays progress shows the dump box railings I built and painted and the added horizontal bars welded in place on the main roll bar. Mudflaps, rear lights and a rear bumper/hitch are left on the list of things to do.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaboxrailings.jpg

• backwoods and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#385 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 01:50 PM

It is cold and raining off and on here today, so I have spent most of my time so far reading through this thread. I have to say that your work is incredible. I like tinkering and building things as well, but my results, while functional, are much less refined than yours. I also converted a 2 wheel dolly into a trailer, but it has and old ratcheting tube from a bumper jack and pieces of an old mower blade for a tongue.  I like how you added the pneumatic tires to your compressor. I picked up a large broadcast spreader off the side of the road a couple years ago and tossed it in my scrap/parts/project pile till I could figure out what to do with it. And now I know.

Thanks, Jim

BTW, still have not found picks of a yellow tracked vehicle. LOL!

#386 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I hope I give others ideas for their own projects. I still look everyday for the right machine to build that Cat yellow machine with tracks.  I may go back to the Cat project and put half tracks on it ??

Today Deb posted a you-tube video of my first test drive of the JD Gator powered by the Cub Cadet garden tractor . It is video number 196 at doncampbellmodels. You can see I have now attached the rear mudflaps , the rear lights and I am now working on the rear bumper and hitch .  I also plan on building a front bumper with more headlights on the front.

I still have things to do yet on it but this gives a good idea of the overall look. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaatestdrive1.jpg
  • aaatestdrive2.jpg

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#387 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Todays progress on the CubCadet/DeereHydro shows the new bumpers painted and installed . It looks pretty nice especially now sitting 6 inches higher than it did when I brought it home. This was my best buy for 2015 !!!  

Attached Thumbnails

• aaapaintedbumpers1.jpg
  • aaapaintedbumpers2.jpg
  • aaapaintedbumpers3.jpg

• backwoods, Bmerf and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#388 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Working on the rear hitch today and rear lights on the rear of the top of the roof.

Todays pics show my latest project I call the ( TARP FLIPPER ) ??  Doesn't look like much but it works wonderful. I have 15 mini machines, two cars and a pickup and the little loader has to sit outside . I have always climbed up on the loader after each snowplowing and dragging the tarp over it . As I get older it is just too hard. With this new idea I can just grab the side bar and flip the 14x16 foot tarp up and over the cab in one easy motion less than one minute. Then just a few straps and it is protected from the snow on it for th emost part. To remove it just a flip backwards and pull two large quik release pins and off i will go to plow snow.

I built the pins large but light metal to avoid losing them in the snow. I love this Tarp Flipper idea already. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• AAAFLIPPER1.jpg
  • aaaflipper2.jpg
  • aaaflipper3.jpg

#389 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,573 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 12:42 PM

The "tarp flipper" is a very good idea.  Trying to climb on equipment is harder as we get older, and plain & simple can be dangerous, especially when wet &/or icy.  I know I've slipped & fell a couple times when climbing around our Cat 910 payloader working/cleaning on it, and hit the ground hard.  I've been lucky not to get hurt, other than the temporary pain from the abrupt stop.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#390 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:12 PM

I been lucky that I never fell off the slippery fenders while dragging the big tarp up over the cab. I am going to enjoy this new method much better from the ground.