408 replies to this topic

#361 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 01:38 PM

Todays progress shows the new rear duel wheels now monuted. Also the front grill and front weight painted. Next I will re weld the running boards. Now I am building the rear top fender light assemblies. Tomorrow I will tear down the carb and clean it and then start the process of pulling the engine out of it to install a lower block gasket that is dripping . Hopefully it will all go good.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaduelwheels1.jpg

#362 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Things went good in the workshop yesterday . I was able to rebuild the jd 140 carb and now it runs great . Before it would only run on full choke.  I also pulled the engine and I think I fixed the oil leak without having to tear apart the block. Nex week I will line up all four tractors with duel wheels and get some cool pictures to share. My 4 year old grandson and my son in law will enjoy driving these around . The duels make them feel more beefy. I also got the frame cleaned up and painted looking much nicer.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaframe1.jpg
  • aaaframe2.jpg

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#363 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 08:24 AM

2011 John Deere Gator - $150.00

Here is my next project I bought yesterday.  This electric drive Gator sat under water overnight and ruined the electric components. It has three brand new tires. The body is in great shape and no cracks or dents at all. Even the front bumper has not one dent. So next week I will remove the dump box and start the design to convert it to a 18 hp twin engine with a hydro transmission. It should be a fun project. If all goes well I will have less than $500.00 in it total . Today I am heading to buy a 1811 Cub Cadet . Fun !!  It even has three brand new tires.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagator1.jpg

• grnspot110, bgkid2966 and backwoods have said thanks

#364 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 03:30 PM

NEW VIDEO-   Deb just downloaded a new video today of me pulling out of the workshop on the new 1/2 scale JD 140 . With the carb fixed and the oil leak fixed it is a great little tractor now.

Yesterday I brought home  the 1811 Cub Cadet . That 18 hp twin cylinder Koehler purrs nice and smooth . The hydraulic drive works great and not one leak .  I already have the Cub Cadet in on the lift and the Gator is in the shop on the floor. I have the wires all stripped out and the rear axle removed. This will make a great drive system for the Gator. I will try to sell the extra 1811 parts on E-bay and recoop my cost so I have no money invested in it. Another fun project.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaduels1.jpg
  • aaaduelwheels2.jpg

• grnspot110 said thank you

#365 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:09 PM

I count over $3200 just in rear tires. Do your kids know how you are spending their inheritance?   :poke:

I think you are the reason that 29x12.5x15 tires are on back order.

Edited by tater195, September 28, 2015 - 06:21 PM.

• grnspot110 and Don Campbell have said thanks

#366 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Ha, Ha, Ha, I even had to wait for these last two duels,
I will sell these and make more money for my kids , not less ,
Todays pic shows the 1811 Cub Cadet I picked up Sunday . It is now in the workshop and tomorrow I will start disassembling it for the engine and hydro transmission.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaacubcadet.jpg

• grnspot110 said thank you

#367 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Todays picture in the workshop shows me making the first cuts in the JD Gator frame. If all goes as planned the Cub Cadet 18 hp Koehler engine and Hydro Transmission should slide right in the opening  with a little bit of tweaking. This new powerplant should move this little Gator around with no problem and even be able to push snow if I make a light duty snow blade for it. That 1811 is a heavy duty unit. By the time I sell all the extra parts from the Gator and the Cub Cadet I should have zero dollars invested in the Gator project. Now that is fun tinkering , ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagatorframe1.jpg

• grnspot110, gopher and superspeedex have said thanks

#368 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:54 PM

That's a nice looking gator, to bad it flooded :(

#369 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:23 AM

The owner of the Gator said to replace the batteries, motor, electric drive switches , etc. it would cost over $3,000.00 . I will have a fun little Gator for under $100.00 total if I sell the extra parts. Actually even selling all the extra parts cheap I should have zero dollars in the Gator when I am done.

Yesterday I started stripping down the 1811 Cub Cadet. Today I will remove the front axle and shorten the frame and driveshaft . I will also cut more of the Gator floor out to accept the engine and drive parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaacubframe1.jpg

• grnspot110 and Alc have said thanks

#370 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Todays progress shows me cutting the Cub Cadet frame and shortening it. I got it welded back together. It also shows me cutting more of the Gator frame out. Today I will pull the Cub Cadet frame inside the Gator frame before I remove the front axle. It will go much slower powered by the Garden tractor but it will be perfect speed for my grandson and my daughter .  The best thing is it will be free, ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaacubframe4.jpg
  • aaacubframe2.jpg

Edited by Don Campbell, October 02, 2015 - 07:44 AM.

• grnspot110, gopher and superspeedex have said thanks

#371 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Todays picture shows the Cub Cadet moved inside the JD Gator frame and welded in place.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaasembly2.jpg

• grnspot110, bgkid2966, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#372 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Looks nice, are you puting the bed back on it???

#373 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks , yes the dump box is in excellent condition and I  will also be adding a hydralic dump cylinder for easy dumping .

Todays progress pic on the DeereCubGator project the narrowed up Cub dash and all the guages and switches attached to the new fabricated center console I built. So far it is all going together quite well.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagatordash.jpg

• Alc, TomLGT195 and superspeedex have said thanks

#374 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Looking like fall today in Northern Michigan . I got the Gator shifting linkage redesigned and connected together. Also Got the brakes redesigned .  Now I am working on the exhaust system moving the muffler to the rear and routing the pipes along the inside . Then wheel adaptors need to be built, then the hydraulic dump box cylinder design , then I will build a rool cage and mount the roof back on. Then I will put a 6 inch lift in the front for more ground clearance. Been a fun project.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaafall.jpg

• grnspot110 and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#375 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Fired up the engine for the first time today on the cubdeercadet . Also got all the hydraulic lines working including the new dump cylinder for the box. Tomorrow I will build brackets for the dump cylinder for the box. I will also get going on the rear wheel adaptors .  Fun Project.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagatorbox1.jpg