408 replies to this topic

#211 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:56 AM

We all have something from our childhood that planted the seed for the rest of our lives. Motorcycles, 4x4 trucks, tractors, big machinery, boats, planes, etc. I was very poor and at 13 I bought this little doodlebug . I had so much fun tinkering on it and driving it around the farm. As crude as it was it is the reason I do what I do all these years.  I think it was black and I may have painted it green and yellow, lol

Attached Thumbnails

• aaa12.jpg

Edited by Don Campbell, January 20, 2015 - 11:56 AM.

• GTTinkerer and superspeedex have said thanks

#212 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:10 AM

Todays pics show the jd 1050 before I built the cab and installed the modified front end loader. I even made a grapple for the bucket.

Here is my driveway and my long green lineup, ha,ha. Keep in mind I had a small lawn care business with no helpers. I had two nice trucks and three nice trailers . I was always tweaking something keeping busy on the slow days . I never got rich but I sure did enjoy it . I never let anyone else run my tractors all those years. My friends use to tell me horror stories about the young kids tearing up their lawn equipment over and over. They could not find good help .

Attached Thumbnails

• DadsPhotos330.jpg
  • johndeeretractorshubcaps.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#213 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 09:18 AM

Cutting edge replacement , yesterday I had to repair and replace the cutting edges on my two snowscoops , I priced new ones and they are now $50.00 ea. at the local hardware store. No thanks. I put one sharp edge on one of them for scraping the driveway nice and clean and more of a rounded edge for uneven surfaces and for roof shoveling. These look  kinda crazy but they are one of my best buys.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaedge1.jpg
  • aaaedge2.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#214 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure, Don, but I think you may be missing your website. I know I do. I spent way too much time on your site admiring your handy work. Good to have you here.
  • Don Campbell said thank you

#215 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:28 PM

OUCH, $50 bucks does seem high, I bet you can pull off building your own :smilewink: :thumbs: :D

#216 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:19 AM

The website was not garden tractor related much of the time. It was model building related. Most of my visitors to my webpage were because of my toy building . These posts here are 98% garden tractor related. I love the garden tractors so much . My wife surprised me last week as I got my first Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine in the mail. In the past we bought it at the TSC store in Gaylord , but last fall they stopped putting them on the magazine rack. My whole life I have loved garden tractors . They remind me of big tractors and they are so much easier to have 10 or 15 or 17 in my yard because of there small size . No more Corvettes, no boats, no planes, my number one thing is garden tractors . Even at tractor shows I like seeing the garden tractors more than the big tractors. Unless someone kicks me off this sight I will probably keep posting garden tractor things. I kinda think my mini Waldon is a garden tractor , lol

• Gtractor, bgkid2966, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#217 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Todays picture is a update on my brand new 4x4 758 Diesel Tractor I got 8 weeks ago. Even though we have had 50 inches of snow since I bought it I have still not used it. I start it and drive it around the driveway but have never used it yet. The Steiner , the walk behind plow and the Waldon does the job just fine. This is my backup machine if all else fails, ha,ha. :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaa8weeks.jpg

• bgkid2966 and Gabriel have said thanks

#218 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Don you might just get booted LOL. If you keep posting about that nice setup and still have not tried it out to see how that beast performs.  

#219 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I think he's waiting to repaint that JD in Bolens colors before he uses it !

#220 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Nice looking JD. Now all you need is a cab with heat a flip down tv and radio for it and you will be set. Darn I may have giving him a ideal.

#221 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:35 AM

ha,ha,ha. :thumbs:

I have shared many of my projects hoping to give some of you ideas and to show even in a tiny workshop with basic tools it can be done. But today I am showing a project I almost made. My plans were to put a garden tractor engine and rear axle in this mini Cat 994F Wheel Loader. It would have hydraulics and would all operate with RC controls. I had actually bought 33 inches tall tires and rims to use on it. The economy collapsed and I changed my mind. Now I have puttered with all these garden tractors I am much more knowledgeable . One of these days I could still build this Garden Tractor powered/ RC controlled little wheel loader. The big models are my favorite. So between the hi track garden tractor project I want to still build and this one I could still end up building a few more projects.

Attached Thumbnails

• cat994fwheelloader.jpg

• GTTinkerer and gopher have said thanks

#222 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Todays pics show a sad sight , the snow in our backyard covering my grader, the rear engine jd , the hot rod jd, the 730 narrow front, the frame steer bolens, and several of my small lawn trailers. This is why I can NEVER buy another tractor until I sell several of these. :wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagrader.jpg
  • aaahotrod.jpg
  • Bolens.jpg

#223 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:03 AM

Back in the 70's Pasquali made a compact 4x4 articulating tractor. I loved the version with the duels on it. All these years later when I built my mini 4x4 articulating project I thought many times about those old Pasquali's . I looked at a used one to buy a few years ago but it did not shift right and the owner said parts were almost impossible to find. Whever I see them on the internet it brings back nice memories .

Attached Thumbnails

• aaapas1.jpg
  • aaapas2.jpg
  • aaapas3.jpg
  • aaapas4.jpg

• superspeedex said thank you

#224 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:36 AM

WOW, those are nice!

I'm going to build something similar out of a old 4 wheel drive articulating trencher that I have. I'm putting the engine (50hp case) in the rear and I'm building it like a mini high loader. Thanks for the inspiring pictures!

#225 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 11:02 AM

The owner of the first golf course I worked at in 1993 had one similar to the one in the second photo but his had a loader.  It had been sitting in his six car garage/workshop for many years and still was there when I left the course in 1997.  Never got a chance to get a real good look at it.