6 replies to this topic

#1 craigellis78 OFFLINE  

craigellis78
  • Member No: 62270
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 09:51 AM

Good Morning Everyone ,

I just got a John Deere LA-105.I will be permanently taking off the mower deck and will be using this for my 6 year old little boy and my 3 year old little girl for garden pulling at Florida Flywheelers. My question is : after some research , I am worried about this transmission. It is a 5 speed but I don't know how much stress it can take at a pull. Is there a way to upgrade , beef it up? Will it be ok as it is ? Is there a replaceable , bigger tranmisson that I can swap it with? We're going to be putting on bigger rims and tires on it .... any feedback is much appreciated .

Craig
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum.

In all honestly, the LA105 is a lawn tractor, frame, rear end nor much else is designed to pull much more than a small lawn trailer.

You need to contact the pulling association, they may not even let you use that tractor due to it's light construction.

They will have a list of rules, check with them first before you decide to to any thing as far as modicfications with that little tractor.

#3 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Welcome to he forum, we need more people from Fla on here. if you are at Fla Flywheelers look me up I am on row 7 lots 4-7. ask for AL

Edited by tinbender7, September 23, 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Dieselcubmike ONLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hello and welcome. If your truly looking to getting into the sport of pulling I would either look around for one that's already setup to go or find a true garden tractor not a little tiny lawn tractor that might break in half before even hooking to the sled. As Tahoe stated its wise to grab a local set of rules and go from there. It would be even better if you were able to attend an event an kinda walk through the pits and take a look at what everyone using as far as a setup.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:56 PM

You guys need to come to one of the Snubbers pulls!! They have a class called 8" SuperStock! Of which all tractors must run 8" wheels /turfs that can be cut. A Briggs twin 18 HP max and must have a belt clutch. ABSOLUTELY THE MOST COMPETITIVE CLASS we have next to stock. Anyone can win and they have plenty of power ! At 750# they are a riot.

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Just a few shots of the different rigs that run.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140726_131016.jpg
  • IMG_20140726_131807.jpg
  • IMG_20140726_131405.jpg

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:52 AM

You guys need to come to one of the Snubbers pulls!! They have a class called 8" SuperStock! Of which all tractors must run 8" wheels /turfs that can be cut. A Briggs twin 18 HP max and must have a belt clutch. ABSOLUTELY THE MOST COMPETITIVE CLASS we have next to stock. Anyone can win and they have plenty of power ! At 750# they are a riot.

Guess you learn new stuff every day. Those would not be allowed on the track in my area.