Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Gas Tank Safety

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:15 AM

Yesterday my wifes nephew was released from the hospital.  He is a well known Race car builder around here and makes his living working on and building them.  Thursday he was working with a helper working on a fuel cell.  They were having problems with what they were doing so he had his arm down in the cell.  His help reached for a wrench and dropped it and you guessed it, it sparked and ignited the fumes in the cell.  He has 3rd degree burns on his arm and had to under go skin graphs.  Luckily his face didn't get much just his arm.

The point is here is a guy who does this for a living that should have know to purge that cell before working on it.  For what ever reason didn't and paid the price.  Al thought this isn't tractor related it can still happen to any of us as we work on our equipment.  When working around fuel keep safety in mind and if you are working on a tank PURGE IT! 

• Bill56, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:19 AM

We all need to be reminded about all types of safety everyday(just like in the military). Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:20 AM

And when you say PURGE IT,just what do you mean?Its my understanding that an empty tank is more dangerous than a full one?

• GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 11:47 AM

And when you say PURGE IT,just what do you mean?Its my understanding that an empty tank is more dangerous than a full one?

Yes, you are correct, empty ones with fumes are more dangerous than with gas, well can be.

What many people do not know is that every thing, including wood, coal, whatever, only can burn in the gaseous state/phase. Even hard wood has to be heated enough where it turns into a gas so it can burn.

Purging is usually done by completely draining a tank, then it gets filled with an inert gas or one that doesn not burn, Nitrogen is a good purging gas as it doesn't not burn.

Sorry to hear of your nephew in law, we all can get careless, especially when we do the same things over and over, just takes one time. 

• GTTinkerer, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think Tahoe explained pretty well.  The big thing is if you are going to work on a gas tank or fuel cell get the volatile gases out of there before you start working on it.  Another thing I do is have a floor fan going that way it keeps the air stirred up and gases can't pool in one area.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear of this. We've all had accidents or close calls at least. I guess burns may be the most painful and hardest to heal. Hoping for an easy recovery for your wife's nephew.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:25 PM

If you don't have a tank of nitrogen handy, which most don't, use the blow gun w/ the compressor or set the shop vac to blow, DO NOT suck w/ the vac or you might have a small explosion and will be shopping for a new vac, and run air in until all the leftover gas is evaporated and fumes are purged.
Mike
  • HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 03:58 AM

Back a good many years ago prior to welding or cutting on a gas tank we would run a hose from a vehicle's tailpipe to the tank and let the engine run for 15 or more minutes to purge any of the remaining fuel vapors.

• Alc, HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Back a good many years ago prior to welding or cutting on a gas tank we would run a hose from a vehicle's tailpipe to the tank and let the engine run for 15 or more minutes to purge any of the remaining fuel vapors.

Yep, been there ,done that and still here to talk about it. Provided the engine isn't running rich.
Mike

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I've never heard of doing it that way. Thanks.