#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:12 AM

Man in our town had a tractor roll over on him yesterday while collecting wood.

My best friend told me about it this morning, it was his co-worker. He said he told his wife about noon he was going out to collect firewood, she noticed after some time he hadn't came back. When she went to check on him, he was under tractor and had been dead for about an hour already. He was on a hilly area of their property.

Soooo....be careful guys, big or little tractors.

http://www.journal-n...rgan-twp/nhRbh/

• olcowhand, Bill56, MH81 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thats a good reminder that we all have to be carefull. Years ago, I read that 300 people are killed in lawn mowing accidents each year in our country. Most are roll overs. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 09:32 AM

You just never know when something like that will happen.  I know it is hard to think safety all the time but that is something you need to do.  I don't know how many times I start to do something and think "Bill, where is your safety gear?" or "This isn't to smart to be doing like this". 

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:22 AM

You just never know when something like that will happen.  I know it is hard to think safety all the time but that is something you need to do.  I don't know how many times I start to do something and think "Bill, where is your safety gear?" or "This isn't to smart to be doing like this". 

Good thing you got that "angel on your shoulder". Yours is alot smarter than the ones that say "you can do this". Good Luck, Rick

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:42 AM

I always listen to that voice that says"something just ain't right".  When I hear it, I stop what I'm doing, or about to do.  Always pays dividends.  Sad to hear of this man passing on.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 11:56 AM

It's sad to hear something like that happen. I've been out cutting up a white oak blow down since this morning, and various dangers cross my mind. The ground has some steep slopes and I wouldn't think of going up or down some of the hills without brakes. I know my Allis Big Ten is small, but I wouldn't want it on top of me. Make sure everything is working as it should before using these old machines.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140922_123709-1.jpg
  • 20140922_124442.jpg

• Bill56, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 04:27 PM

I usually have those- this is a dumb thing to be doing- about the time I get done with whatever it was I was doing :D.  There was a guy just down the road from me who got pinned under his tractor and laid out there for two days before he died, he had no-one home with him and his daughter was at college.  one of the neighbors found him a few days later when they heard the dog barking.  Really bad way to go!!!!!  be carefull fellas, I want to die old and lazy in a chair :thumbs:

• Bill56, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:58 PM

These are so sad to hear about especially the way the families have to find out. Safety & being careful is a must but over the years especially some jobs I do I make sure I have my cell phone with me. Who knows if we're able we could at least call for help. Praying for this family.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:27 AM

My only hill is a septic mound, but plenty steep to roll over a zero turn or tractor, I try to avoid side on angles while mowing on it. Small or not 600-1200 lbs will crush your a$$ good!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Something I am trying to get thru my Kids thick skull is how dangerous these machines are. They have no brain and don't feel it when they hurt you. You MUST be in control at all times or you will get hurt and ALWAYS have an escape route planned.

My son watched me do something the other day that looked more dangerous than it was. We were in a hurry and didnt discuss, but He and I need to have a talk about what was happening and how I kept the front end down. We also need to talk about what I had planned to do if it started to get away from me.

Sad to hear a man lost his life. Sorry to hear the family had to find him.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:22 AM

I will admit, I have to cut a very steep hill at mom's house, dad and I have cut it sideways since 1972, we just lay out on the fender of the tractor to keep weight shifted properly. I have recently began to cut up and down or more at an angle as it makes tractor more stable, but not sure much any other way to do it.

Dangerous jobs can be done safely, there just needs to be a lot of caution and for planning before you do it.

I always keep in the back of my mind....." If I went over, I would do  A, B, & C"   hopefully :smilewink: