• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 10:19 PM

i have a john deere 214 that i recently got and i have noticed that the transmission seems to be noisy when driving in all of the gears. We have a john deere 110 and i believe the rear ends in them are the same. Our 110 seems to be alot quieter than my 214 and i have checked the fluid and made sure it was topped off but still seems to be noisy. does the trasmission need to come apart and have new bearings or is this a simple fix?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Since the oil is full and I assume in good condition there isn't going to be an easy fix. I think some of those transmissions wine more than others. Gear noise could be do to wear and tear. Some people look for another transmission first rather than rebuild them.

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 02:06 PM

The 4 speed in the Case 210 I had was really noisy.Took it apart and replaced the Pinion gears and the bull gear and it was quiet again.I drained about a Quart of water out of it when I got it.Since water lays at the bottom and the Diff sits at the bottom and gets most of the water it had rusted and pitted the gears.And quite a few rust flakes laying in the bottom.

Case 210 uses the same 4 speed Peerless as the JD 100 and 200 series GTs.My MTD Fourteen Hundred has the same transaxle in it as well.That one runs super quiet but pops out of 2nd gear.The MTD has the limited slip Diff in it which is pretty nice for plowing but makes the turning radius a good bit wider.

Does it sound rough in Neutral?Or just when moving?

If it sounds rough in Neutral you could just have a bad idler pulley or the Input shaft bearing.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 22, 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#4 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 04:01 PM

i had drained the oil and it looked pretty clean no water or any metal shavings that i could see. it is loud in all of the gears but quiet in neutral so im assuming its got something to do with the final drive gears?