• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy
  • Member No: 61643
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm seriuosly wanting to either build or buy a mini dozer/crawler-not a Struck-but something more pleasing to the eye while still very useful. Interestingly,there are quite a few different,successful,individual designs to be found on the 'Net and YouTube. They run the gammut from cobby to spot-on scale accuracy......What I find lacking is much of the required mechanical details needed to replicate one of choice,and hardly any 'professional grade' plans are available to consider.....

Tracks used also range from poorly constructed plates to modified snowmobile tread to commercial mini-excavator track to scale model level;in other words-all over the map! They all will work...but not for any application/situation.

So,are there any members with a mini dozer that they have built willing share their experiences and possibly advice? My application would be occasional snow removal,possibly 'light' dirt work(which will likely rule out snowmobile track use).

Still searching......

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm working on one, of a sort. based on a 76 Ford LGT 165

I've been searching the web far and wide for all the info I can find, what do you need to know?

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:01 AM

if i were to build one from scratch i know the first thing i would do is start from a zero turn hydraulic motors and go from there

• GTTinkerer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Cadplans has a neat little rig with four wheels, not tracks and a loader bucket on it. Uses a bigger say 18hp engine to run pumps that run wheels. Can get the  plans, or some sub-assemblies from firm they work with, maybe even a whole kit if you have pile of money??  Parts list used common hydraulics and such for many famous sources. Check it out on their web-sight. I would think that is more useful than any little crawler myself.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:40 AM

if i were to build one from scratch i know the first thing i would do is start from a zero turn hydraulic motors and go from there

I was thinking along those lines, find a pair of used skid steer tracks to shorten.

What would be the ticket if you could find yourself a mini excavator and scavenge the cat frames off of there.  That would give you idlers, take up, planetary drives, ect.  Not sure how much hydraulic power is required for those.

#6 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I found a place that sells plans for converting a gt to a crawler and it looks pretty decent. the website is ubuilditplans.com. I bought a set of plans to make one but havent gotten to it yet. There very detailed and give step by step instructions and materials lists. The only thing is you build everything from scratch including the tracks.  I believe someone on Red Square made one from the plans and put a lot of pictures of the build on there.                Stewart

found the one on red square.  he didnt say where he got the plans from but the pictures look like the plans i have. http://www.wheelhors...ozer/?hl= dozer

Edited by diesel nut, September 22, 2014 - 04:18 PM.

• Sammy said thank you

#7 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy
  • Member No: 61643
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Fellas-

Here are two examples illustrating the  huge contrast in completed crawlers:

And-

http://www.ihcubcade.../crawler100.htm

The first example,although somewhat crude,performs as the builder wanted,definately an inexpensive project that simply 'works'. I watched all of his videos,because he exhibited real 'pluck' in overcoming obstacles along the way.

The second example is,simply put,magnificiant .....for myself,far too time consuming and I sure as Hell wouldn't want to get it dirty by doing any real work. :D

I want to build something basically in between the two shown;in terms of precision and appearance.

Using the oil motors (from a ZTR) is certainly the best way,IMO,having piruette turning capability is a huge plus. But,using ,say,a JD 317 rear hydro diff. and chassis would be a simpler route,relegating back to brake steering as the early crawlers were.....a trade off.

Powerplant choices- I really like the big Wisconsin vertical twins. A diesel is another option......

Track choices- either steel with rubber/uethane pads or mini-execavator rubber track.

Undercarrage type/design-  This is where the information is very vague,and the designs vary greatly....

I'll investigate the ubuildit website, diesel nut.

Edited by Sammy, September 22, 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:24 PM

My personal opinion,

I'm working on a hi-drive version based on an old Jacobsen/Ford 16 hp GT.

I thought through the rubber/Steel track dilemma, and decided for the current build, steel was the way to go. I wanted the look and feel of the equipment I played on when I was a kid.

For low cost, the old GT diffs with Clutch/brakes was much cheaper, especially since I could fab it/ buy it cheap myself

Buying more Hydraulic stuff than I could get away with got way to expensive. So far I've got way more money into this thing than  I like but, what the heck, If I want to do it how, I want, when I want, it's gonna cost a few.

Hydraulics for the blade, loader, etc, are expensive enough as it is, without having the cost fo add all the equipment required for a full hydro zero turn setup. That said, my build has a hydro setup, with an eaton pump, and a peerless trans. The GT hydro can handle drive and a single short stroke cylinder , but that's about it.

If you want zero turn performance, be prepared for expensive parts, and high maintenance costs. The pumps hoses and valves required for a fully hydraulic setup can get expensive fast.

That said, I also understand the issues with using a planetary transaxle for a dozer drive, but I'm confident I can make it work. I have all kinds of time on my hands and a good selection of tools,

It really depends on what you want , and how you want it.

All we can do is offer input.

Attached Thumbnails

• dozer_teaser.jpg

Edited by Chopperhed, September 22, 2014 - 10:24 PM.