• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I just bought a JD 318 on Craigslist.  I'm concerned about the hydrodrive, and wondering what's normal.  I am surprised that I have to adjust it constantly to maintain an in control speed.  My lands not flat, but nothing steep either.  It slows and makes a whining noise when climbing into a hill or even traversing a hill, so I push the speed control forward, it pulls up the hill then ramps up speed on a flat or downhill, so I pull it back again.  Is this normal?  The engine is steady through all of this, running the throttle up at least 90% of it's range.  I'm coming from a JD 170 non hydro model.  I was excited to get the hydrostatic drive, but I'm afraid mine needs work.  Maybe I'm confused, but should the speed control be acting like a throttle like this?  Isn't that the throttles job?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. Does the engine pull down or does the hydro just slow down and does it slow down just a little or almost come to a stop?

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the forum!

When it slows down going up a hill, does it sound what I can only best describe as "brassy" like a trumpet (loud screaming) or a whine like a regular hydro? 

When it rolls down here, do you here a buzzing sound like it is freewheeling or does it whine as it holds you back from going for a fast ride!

One of my favorite tests is to push up the tractor against a tree or a building (harder to do with a traditional tractor than a zero turn without tearing something up) and seeing how well the wheels break traction and spin.  You'll learn a lot that way about your hydro.

I wouldn't panic yet.   Sometimes hydrostat problems are corrected and cured by a fluid change and filter change. 

Ben W.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I wouldn't panic yet.   Sometimes hydrostat problems are corrected and cured by a fluid change and filter change. 

Ben W.

That should be item one on your list of things to do, unless it was done before you bought it. And you believe the seller when he said it was done.

How does the fluid look in the sight tube on the backside of the tractor? Clear/brown or red? In other words, does it have ATF or Low Viscosity HighGuard in it right now?

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:14 PM

That should be item one on your list of things to do, unless it was done before you bought it. And you believe the seller when he said it was done.

How does the fluid look in the sight tube on the backside of the tractor? Clear/brown or red? In other words, does it have ATF or Low Viscosity HighGuard in it right now?

Wow, you and I agree for once.  How did that happen? 

:poke:

Ben W.

• Trav1s said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Wow, you and I agree for once.  How did that happen? 

:poke:

Ben W.

You're drunk, obviously.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:40 PM

You're drunk, obviously.

If you and I agree and I am drunk, what does that make you, kitty?

Ben W.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. As well as doing a fluid and filter change you should check the linkage from the control leaver on the dash to the transmission. Slop in the linkage can cause some of the problems you are describing. The parts diagrams are on JDParts.com. Do a model no. search for 318 and you will find them.

• Alc said thank you

#9 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Welcome to the GTTalk.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Do everything that was mentioned but don't be disappointed  if you have to keep you hand on the speed control . There isn't a flat spot in my yard and when I mow with my 318 , the right hand pretty much never leaves the control , been using it now for 28 years . And Welcome to GTTalk  !! 

#11 13jac1316 OFFLINE  

13jac1316
  • Member No: 53385
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:51 AM

yes its normal but just dont run the throttle too high you could blow the engine

#12 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum!

When it slows down going up a hill, does it sound what I can only best describe as "brassy" like a trumpet (loud screaming) or a whine like a regular hydro? 

When it rolls down here, do you here a buzzing sound like it is freewheeling or does it whine as it holds you back from going for a fast ride!

One of my favorite tests is to push up the tractor against a tree or a building (harder to do with a traditional tractor than a zero turn without tearing something up) and seeing how well the wheels break traction and spin.  You'll learn a lot that way about your hydro.

Ben W.

Well it whines a little and significantly slows down, freewheeling or slipping (tranny not Tires) describes the sensation that I get.  some of the areas that I mow are "technical" so I'm going pretty slow to begin with, when I push the speed forward to power through the slow down the whine goes away, then the tractor takes off after the hill or hard turn is over which is unnerving .

How does the fluid look in the sight tube on the backside of the tractor? Clear/brown or red? In other words, does it have ATF or Low Viscosity HighGuard in it right now

Clear best describes the color, it shows 3/4 full when cold, then drops out of sight when running for a bit.  I bought some Lucas Uni-Hydro Fluid which says it meets the standard for Hy-Gard.  Then I read on forums about how not to mix and got scared.  Should I top it off just to test, then do a full change and filter?

yes its normal but just dont run the throttle too high you could blow the engine

Where do you recommend running the throttle?

#13 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 07:22 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. Does the engine pull down or does the hydro just slow down and does it slow down just a little or almost come to a stop?

Almost to a stop, no change in the sound of the engine, but again, I'm going slow to begin with, my property is like a bowl upside down, so i'm never never going flat, never full speed.

Looked again, and I take it back, brownish hue. not dirty brown, but not pure clear either.

#14 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 07:36 AM

And Thanks you all for the advice, nice forum, can't believe I had that many responses in 12 hours!

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 09:10 AM

I would start with a complete change first.

You say it's towards the top of the tube to start, then drops out of site. Are you sure it's not all the way to the top? It may be running warm and the fluid is expanding. Ever see foam in the sight tube? Is the hydro clean under there?
  • superaben said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 318