sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I got an email about 2 weeks ago, offering a lead on a HD-12 Bush Hog. I made the call but by the end of the day, no return call. I figured it was a dead end lead. The next afternoon I got a call from the owner and he did have the HD plus a pull behind mower. I asked what motor was on the HD and he said he was pretty sure it was a Wisconsin. He said the mower deck was rusty and probably had been stored outside at some point. I asked him want he wanted for it and he gave me the price he paid and what he would take for it. I told him what I would pay and a deal was made. He would hold it till I was up that way in a couple of weeks. I had a Wisconsin powered HD-12 at home, plus was picking one up at Brian's parents when I was coming up to Daniels plow day. I also had a T-42A pull behind mower so I did not think I would need it. But both of my HD's were missing parts and was hoping I could snag some parts off of it and then sell it. I contacted Brian since he was on my list for wanting a HD-12 if I found one. (I have 6 people on this list). I told him I had found the tractor and mower, that I planned on getting parts off the HD-12, and then would be offering it for sale. Keep on mind I have not seen it and have no idea what all this looks like. I did qualify later this deal was contingent on what I found when I got there. At this point too many questions than answers. I delivered the military trailer to Daniels that Thursday afternoon and headed north toward Indianapolis to pick up this BH and mower that Friday morning then head across to Brian's parents to get my other HD-12. As i am driving up, i am wondering if he actually has a D4-12, or a mangled up HD,and maybe the pull behind mower is just a regular rotary cutter....when I arrived at the owners house, I could not get in touch with him by cell and no one was home, I was getting a little concerned after no contact and I had been there for about 15-20 minutes. About that time I got the call from the owner he was heading that way and would be there with on 15 minutes. Once we opened the garage, to my surprise, it was not a Wisconsin powered HD, but a Tecumseh HH-120. It had all the hood chrome and it had the rear pto. (i had been looking for a Tecumseh powered one earlier and the one i found I sold to Daniel, originally had an incorrect Tecumseh motor in it) the Tecumseh powered HD was one I had hoped to add toy collection. Then I looked at the mower and instead of the more common T-42A mower, it was a first in the series T-42. All of a sudden, I thought uh oh...... These are two pieces of my Bush Hog puzzle I am missing.....what am I going to do. As I drove the Brian's parents, I called Brian and said i am not sure I am going to be willing to part with these pieces of Bush Hog history. I told him I needed to think about it. I did not want to disappoint Brian but when the models turned out to be different than I believed / understood, the deal had chained. As you would expect from Brian - he said yes he would be disappointed, but he also knew how hard I waa working to put my collection together. He would not be upset what ever happened. I was bummed. Excited for the find, but not happy about disappointing Brian. Later that day, I checked the serial number on the Tecumseh powered HD and it was 5251- the earliest HD serial number to date. The Wisconsin powered HD on the back of the trailer was serial number 6316. They were the first and last HD serial numbers we have collected to date. That pretty much made my decision easier, how could I give up the oldest HD to date or the only T-42 known to be in existence. Saturday morning came and I got busy with the plow day and forgot to contact Brian. He texted me later in the day and asked if I had made a decision. I responded yes and explained why. Brian was gracious enough to let me off the hook on our arrangement. So yes, it's a bittersweet deal. Excited to find it, but hate to let Brian down. Thanks Brian! I back on a quest looking for a HD for Brian. Contact me if you know of one for sale!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411338149.180357.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411338171.557460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411338190.430336.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411338211.929839.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411338225.864755.jpg

Edited by sacsr, September 21, 2014 - 05:37 PM.

• NUTNDUN, tweidman, olcowhand and 9 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Awesome score there, Scott! Congrats!

• sacsr said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Scott, sounds like you found a piece of history! 

Brian is a good man :thumbs:

Ben W.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Man that's an awesome find. One of the nice things about the vintage tractor hobby is the people you meet and interact with who are friendly and willing to help out others when it comes down to collecting, restoring, or just learning about the machines. Kudos to you for being open and honest about the deal and to Brian for being understanding. Now let's find him an hd-12!
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Scott, Those are a couple great looking HD-12s you got there. And boy what a find on that first generation mower looks really nice. Good to hear you were able to get the HW running up at Mom & Dad's place and drive it up on the trailer.

• olcowhand, MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Great pieces!  The ID tag still on the mower is icing on the cake!

• sacsr said thank you