• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silversolder429 OFFLINE  

silversolder429
  • Member No: 62243
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 05:14 PM

hey guys, new guy here . bought this tractor and seems to have a problem with the carb , it wont stay adjusted  .but i cant find any thing on the B&S engine to identify the model to find a repair kit . any help would be greatly appreciated .

Attached Thumbnails

• sears SS 15.jpg
  • SS 15.jpg
  • SS engine.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 06:04 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! There will be some folks along to offer help! Good looking tractor!

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:48 PM

A repair kit is for the Briggs Flo-Jet Large 4 bolt.  The rebuild kit is $20 from me, part number 391071

The model number is stamped on the blower housing right behind the carburetor air horn. 

Ben W.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yep those old Briggs carbs can be a bit stubborn.Most of the time they just need a good cleaning.The Main jet can be a bit of a bear to get out.I've had a bunch of them with messed up threads and stripped heads.

This video will help you to get it apart once you have it off the engine.

I Just rebuilt the Flo-Jet carb on an old 14hp.Once you get it rebuilt and cleaned up good they usually work very well for a few years.

On another note Those old carbs and engines don't like Ethanol.I've had problems with the main jet freezing up in the winter on alot of Flo-Jet carbs because of the water content in the cheaper E10 87 octane gas.I run 89 or better in everything now and haven't had a freeze up since.  

#5 silversolder429 OFFLINE  

silversolder429
  • Member No: 62243
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 06:43 PM

thank you for the replies , i was gone for a week but will pull it and probably rebuild the carb .as far as the stamped number im afraid they must have painted over it , maybe they never heard of masking tape . LOL i appreciate the help , and im sure i will have more questions to follow .