• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jons999 OFFLINE  

jons999

• Member No: 7323
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have an 18hp Craftsmen mower. Its vertical shaft with a belt driven 5 speed rear end. The rear end and frame is damaged and its missing the deck but runs great so i would like to use it for a loader project. What hydrostatic transaxle with aux. hydraulic ports should i be looking for? None of the belt driven ones i've found have aux. ports. The ones with aux ports that i've seen are shaft drive. Can i easily convert my setup to shaft drive? 

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 04:57 PM

Just my opinion but I am not sure if the frame on an 18 HP Craftsman mower would hold up using it as a loader frame.  Sears maybe but Craftsman probably not.

• superaben and fogler12538 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 06:09 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I'm with Bill on this. I have 2 that are a little older than yours (horizontal engines) and I would think of putting a loader on them! But I have 2 FF's that would be right proud to wear a loader!

#4 jons999 OFFLINE  

jons999

• Member No: 7323
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Frame strength isn't an issue, i'm welding 1.75" DOM tubing to the frame for extra strength and installing beefier front spindles and hubs. Im thinking of using a regular belt driven hydrostatic rear end in the tractor and adding an auxiliary hydraulic pump to run the loader. I built a platform off the back of the tractor and installed a full size car battery back there for some extra ballast so that frees up some room under the hood to mount a pump thru the floor. It just would have been simpler to run everything off the rear end though. I guess i just need to figure out all the hydraulic parts i need and see what pops up on Ebay.