#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Think I've heard of not being a topic for here on safety switch by passing and such, but gonna ask opinions anyway. My new Snapper has many. In old days a wire accross the terms used to take care of those. This one DOES have that on seat term now. The wiring diagram shows a control box in system for bypass. I would think following wire diagram route thru the switches  and just passing by all that and going direct to switch and start functions would work on old systems. Is that NOT going to be do-able with these newer control box systems then?? There is a lot of wires in this diagram and on tractor, but many are just going back and forth between said switches and it could be much simpler without them. This is a Command and has fuel shut-off and not sure if safety stuff goes thru that or ignites that or ??? and think it also has electronic spark control and might be issue??  This new stuff is like working on new cars, too much gadgets and hard to diagnose w/out special tools and knowledge. Hope I'm not getting into something I can't handle. This tractor also has lights for oil pressure, batt charge and something else I forget, pto on maybe? Wondering if those are gonna mess me up also?

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 11:06 PM

GL, I can't answer your question but it sure wouldn't surprise me to see the mfg go to a control module system. The seat switch is one I would consider critical. I think it ranks right up there with nuetral start and maybe even higher. I'd say if teh system performs as intended, go with it. If it becomes a problem then deal with it.

Lets keep this to a "how to diagnose" thread instead of a "remove or bypass" thread.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and superaben have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 07:19 AM

The control box is necessary in the safety circuit.  It "mixes" the signals from each safety switch and makes sure they all do what they are supposed to do without shorting each other out.  Without that box, you would have to run wires to each switch individually and risk a short if the complex wiring is activated in the wrong order. 

Ben W.

• DougT, HDWildBill, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#4 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 02:48 PM

I do not even want to buy a newer tractor with all those safety switches,all my tractors are too old to have them and thats the way I like it. I like being able to get off with it running and the blades engaged and even cutting in reverse,I know why this has happened but I will keep my old no safety switch tractors going for as long as I can before buying a new one. Just remember to be smarter then the machine and all will be fine.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Just remember to be smarter then the machine and all will be fine.

Jeff, there are a lot of people that have thought that and lost body parts. Respecting the machine's ability to hurt you sudden and bad plays a big part too but there's always the unexpected. That's why I rate the seat switch so high. If something causes the tractor to tip over or knock you off the seat, it's nice to know it isn't coming after you with the blades running. I grew up in a time when there weren't any safety switches but I can also see a need for them. The person we save may not be ourselves but someone that doesn't know or respect the machine.

• Jack, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 05:23 PM

The control box is necessary in the safety circuit.  It "mixes" the signals from each safety switch and makes sure they all do what they are supposed to do without shorting each other out.  Without that box, you would have to run wires to each switch individually and risk a short if the complex wiring is activated in the wrong order. 

Ben W.

That's about what I figured from the description but wasn't sure. Do they produce any kind of a trouble code? Are these systems scan tool capable or are they all the old DVOM and test each circuit?

• superaben said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 08:55 PM

That's about what I figured from the description but wasn't sure. Do they produce any kind of a trouble code? Are these systems scan tool capable or are they all the old DVOM and test each circuit?

Doug, there is a test for that box.  Most of them these days are the same 5 wire plug (same configuration as a standard Indak keyswitch) and a two bolt flange mount.  All you do is apply power to the right combination of terminals to get power out of the right terminal.  Snapper (made by Briggs) should work the same as Simplicity equipment, and they use the 5 wire box.  Without knowing exactly what Grumpy has, however, I'm afraid to say much more.

The newer fancier mowers do have a computerized box with much more circuitry involved that allows some safety circuits to delay cutoff for a set period of time or for allowing sensors versus physical switches.  Some of those you have to have a special tool or special knowledge to play with.

Ben W.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:31 AM

The newer fancier mowers do have a computerized box with much more circuitry involved that allows some safety circuits to delay cutoff for a set period of time or for allowing sensors versus physical switches.  Some of those you have to have a special tool or special knowledge to play with.

I've was wondering if the newer tractors had some kind of logic box used for safety .  Like a furnace burner controller  that needs to see an open photo eye ,then closed before it will let the burner stay running . You can't just jump the eye lol