#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 09:17 PM

My son bought a Massey 8H and after doing an engine transfer with another 8hp Tecumseh, we are having trouble getting the RPM's out of it. Right now, with the governor set up according to the manual, when you lift the throttle lever to full open, we are lucky if we have 800 RPM's. It appears that the governor is open all the way, the same goes for the carb throttle. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? 

We get plenty of gas to carb, as with the air cleaner removed, you can literally feel and see the gas on your hand while holding it in front of the carb. I should also mention that I put a cap full of seafoam in the gas tank to try and clean the internals a little. One concern I have is, the gas tank only had a little bit a gas in it, and I'm wondering if the cap full of seafoam was too much? Could the seafoam have removed that much corrosion already, to clog up the carb already? Might be a dumb question, but if the throttle needle is clogged, would this keep the engine from producing the higher RPM's? It's hard to set the air intake adjustment without the engine running it's full RPM's, so I'm eliminating that adjustment for now, as I really don't see that interfering with the RPM's, correct? 

I'm not much of an engine guru as some of you guys are, so if these are dumb questions, then I accept the classification. I'm getting frustrated as this isn't a brand that I'm used to working with. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

• fogler12538 said thank you

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 09:35 PM

I would soak the carb over night in carb cleaner

I think the passage way in the high speed jet is cloaked

• johndeereelfman and fogler12538 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Troy, if the throttle shaft can be opened all the way up by hand and the engine does not take off like an airplane, you are either getting too much fuel or not enough. 

Does it smoke while it is running?

Most of the time low RPMs with a good governor means too much fuel, or a restricted intake of some sort.  Too little fuel "vapor" is actually more combustible and as a result, you get more RPMs. 

I'd make your carb adjustments leaner and see what happens.

You also might try cleaning up the ignition circuit.   A new spark plug can do amazing things.  If you cleaned the ignition points (and I hope you did) what are the chances that a flywheel key might be off messing up the timing a bit?

Ben W.

• johndeereelfman and fogler12538 have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Ok, need some help. I have the carb torn apart, but I can't seem to get the main needle out that runs up through the main part of the carb from the bowl/float. It is very small, and there is no slot in it to use a small screwdriver. I'm baffled on how to get this removed so I can clean it.