#1 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:44 PM

I have a couple of questions about my Wisconsin TRA-12 D. What is the best way to clean the carbon on the valves and piston? and I don't think the exhaust on the engine is right. I think it was welded or some type of quick metal used to seal around the block. Also one of the head blost was broke and is there a proper way to remove it?
Thanks
Scott
0214011217a.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0214011217b.jpg
  • 0214011217.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Your lucky that head bolt is sticking up that much as it will be much easier to remove. I would almost think you can get some vice grips around the bolt and get it out.

Usually to clean the carbon I use a small wire brush and just take my time. The 010 you see on the piston means it has been rebuilt to .010 oversize at some time in its life.

The muffler was definitely repaired......
  • awol said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Tr-10D 1.jpg

Here's what the muffler should look like

Attached Thumbnails

• engine rebuild- 7-31-10 003.jpg

#4 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Your lucky that head bolt is sticking up that much as it will be much easier to remove. I would almost think you can get some vice grips around the bolt and get it out.

Usually to clean the carbon I use a small wire brush and just take my time. The 010 you see on the piston means it has been rebuilt to .010 oversize at some time in its life.

The muffler was definitely repaired......

Thanks Brian, I guess I could use some penitrating oil and let it sit for awhile then try some vice grips. I wish that repair didn't look so bad because I would like to have it look stock.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Brian, I guess I could use some penitrating oil and let it sit for awhile then try some vice grips. I wish that repair didn't look so bad because I would like to have it look stock.

Mabye others may have some better advice but I did have good luck using vice grips when that happned to me. Putting some penetrating oil on is a must as well.

Yes, I think I would leave the muffler repair go beause its hard to tell how bad it was originally damaged.
  • awol said thank you

#6 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:12 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10436[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10437[/ATTACH]

Here's what the muffler should look like

I don't know if my engine is the same as yours because my carb dosen't mount the same way!!
0210010823a.jpg

#7 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:23 PM

I am also looking for an air breather and can't seem to find any pics of one! I would like to put this engine back to original as possible if I can.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:38 PM

Disregard this Post

Attached Thumbnails

• carb pics 006.jpg
  • aircleaner.jpg

Edited by Bolens 1000, February 14, 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:46 PM

Sorry my fault :wallbanging:

I forgot they also used Walbro carbs on the TRA-12D's LOL

The carb is the right one:

carb.jpg

Edited by Bolens 1000, February 14, 2011 - 02:52 PM.
spelling

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:49 PM

For broken head bolt removal, if vise grips don't work. I weld a nut on the bolt, usaully the nut will just fit over the bolt. As soon as I'm done welding the nut on, I tap on the top of the nut with a small hammer. Between the heat from welding and the force of the tapping, and also letting it cool down, The broken bolt will come right out. I have had to do this 2 or 3 times, sometimes before it would come out. you can weld them up as long as you have atleast the broken bolt flush with top of block.
  • Bolens 1000 and Nascar3244888 have said thanks

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Great Idea Brian!

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:51 PM

If you have a wire welder, I have been able to weld to broken bolts, down in the block. The weld doesn't stick to cast iron very well, so usually I can get them out that way.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 03:00 PM

For broken head bolt removal, if vise grips don't work. I weld a nut on the bolt, usaully the nut will just fit over the bolt. As soon as I'm done welding the nut on, I tap on the top of the nut with a small hammer. Between the heat from welding and the force of the tapping, and also letting it cool down, The broken bolt will come right out. I have had to do this 2 or 3 times, sometimes before it would come out. you can weld them up as long as you have atleast the broken bolt flush with top of block.

Yes I've been using this method for years,it works great.I'v had people from all over bring me things to get broken bolts out of.I think in the 30 years I've been doing this,there have only been 5 to 10 bolts that I couldn't get out that way.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Same methods I use. But if you soak with penetrant, & attempt vise grips first....before you use the vise grips, lightly tap the bolt, but not enough to peen it lower or anything like that. Just light taps, and in fact, while soaking, every now & then stop by & give it a few taps. This will help the penetrant to work down the threads further. While I've never had a stuck bolt to try it on, I know quite a few who swear by heating the bolt, the taking a regular candle, or wax bar, and rubbing on the hold bolt,. They say the wax penetrates better than penetrating oil, and that bolts easily come on out.
  • awol said thank you

#15 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 03:10 PM

I wish I still had my welder but I sold it last year:wallbanging: I use to repair shopping carts and got out of the business, Yes just like Bubbles on trailer park boys :itsok::rofl2:. I will try the vice grip thing and see how it goes.