• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Anyone have a  70s brake band and linkage picture or have picture of a custom made brake band linkage? I know the brake drum is 4" in diameter and about 1" wide, but have no idea what the complete linkage looks like. Here is a pic of the brake drum, but no linkage. yuk!

Attached Thumbnails

• 73_brake_drum1.JPG

#2 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 03:13 PM

Never mind, got one and friction material is on the way. Will post updated pic when I get it installed.

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Anyone have a  70s brake band and linkage picture or have picture of a custom made brake band linkage? I know the brake drum is 4" in diameter and about 1" wide, but have no idea what the complete linkage looks like. Here is a pic of the brake drum, but no linkage. yuk!

Here are some pics of what I bought as the proper brake band system for my MW/gilson. I used the only manual that I had access to, Gilson S-Series for mode 769 and 770, page 14, which shows a faded pic of the brake adjustment location. The manual shows that I may be missing a bolt or latch or something and I am including pics of what I have tried. If anyone has a clear pic of their brake band installation, please share it with us. My tractor is a 1973 16 P vari-speed. Thanks, ken 

Attached Thumbnails

• 000_1637.JPG
  • 000_1639.JPG
  • 000_1644.JPG
  • 000_1645.JPG

#4 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:02 PM

OK, I now know that I have the proper brake band assembly for my gilson/MW tractor. I now have to find the correct size peg with a hole for a cotter pin so that I can weld it into the hole shown in the first picture I have attached. The second picture shows the correct position of the brake band by putting a phillips screwdriver into the hole where the shaft should be. Once I get the peg welded into place I will close this out with the final picture. 

Attached Thumbnails

• correct_orientation1.JPG
  • correct_position2.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Will that plate with the hole come off very easily? Might be easier to weld the peg in. From the pic with the screwdriver, looks to be 5/16" or possibly 3/8". Hard to tell from here. I have used a long Grade 5 or better bolt to make 'pegs' with before. Cut the head and threads off and you have the smooth shank left, Plus it's a better grade for something like this. The rod you can buy is usually too soft and bends easily. Just a thought.

• ktznz said thank you

#6 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Will that plate with the hole come off very easily? Might be easier to weld the peg in. From the pic with the screwdriver, looks to be 5/16" or possibly 3/8". Hard to tell from here. I have used a long Grade 5 or better bolt to make 'pegs' with before. Cut the head and threads off and you have the smooth shank left, Plus it's a better grade for something like this. The rod you can buy is usually too soft and bends easily. Just a thought.

KennyP

The plate appears to be part of the frame, and right behind the plate is the transmission case. The hole appears to be 3/8" diameter and approximately 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" in length. I will try the bolt approach. Thanks for the tip 

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I was afraid that plate was hard to come out. Get a bolt with a longer smooth shank, cut the head off. Get your cotter pin hole drilled. Then you can cut more off the head end to get the length right.

• ktznz said thank you