coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:13 PM

After seeing some of the photos of all the beautifully plowed ground, I decided it was time to figure out how to do it right. I wanted my plowed ground to look as amazing as the phots that have been posted up here. The first thing was to actually read the correct manuals for my bastardized plow. My plow started life off as a Brinly 10 sleeve hitch plow and was converted over to a 3PTH.When I got it it was converted over for a Sears 3PTH. I made an adapter about 2 years ago for a standard cat 0. That worked great on the snapper 1855. I proceeded to plow with it and found that it would always pull landward and it would look like I was making furrows instead of turning it over. No problem with this, I would just knock everything down with the harrows. Then I started seeing the pics here of how it was supposed to look. Nice even, smooth, turned ground. No "rows". So I decided to dig up the correct manuals and read up. I found out that with the Brinly sleeve hitch plow you could adjust the amount of landward suck by adjusting 3 bolts that angle the frog from the center beam of the plow. About an hours worth of adjusting and trying it out and I had the plow pulling straight and laying the dirt over onto the previous turned dirt. Then I ran into problems of the plow not staying at depth, not starting, and not cleaning out the bed of the cut.

I decided that it was time for a new share. So digging around here I found that the JD 12 inch share was cheaper than the brinly and could be cut down for the 10 inch. I ordered one and picked it up on a saturday morning. As soon as I saw the new share I new mine was worn out. The point and cutting edges were so different than what I was used to seeing on mine. I rushed home and started changing it out. I had to use heat to get the two bolts that hold the old share off. I laid the old share ontop of the new share to see the differences. You can see how much was worn in the pics below. I had to cut 2 inches off the tail of the share. I just left them bolted together and used th old one as a guide. @ new plow bolts later and the new share was installed. Of course I had to try it out, so with tools left scattered about, off I went to the garden. A few small adjustments and I was plowing like the pros. The new share stays at depth and doesnt wander up and down like the old one. It starts in the ground easier and cleans out the bottom of the cut much better. 

So in conclusion, I would say if you are beating your head trying to figure out why your plow aint pulling straight, or hunting for depth, or hard to start in the ground, read the manuals and invest in a new share.

DSCF3081.JPG DSCF3083.JPG

DSCF3086.JPG DSCF3087.JPG DSCF3088.JPG DSCF3089.JPG DSCF3090.JPG DSCF3094.JPG DSCF3095.JPG DSCF3096.JPG DSCF3097.JPG DSCF3098.JPG

• Bill56, Bud, Gtractor and 10 others have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:25 PM

thats a good write up!! im surprised that JD parts are cheaper than brinly cause JDs usually priced pretty high

• coldone and propane1 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Nice looking share you have there! Good write up too! Glad it made the difference you needed!

• coldone said thank you

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Well done! We tend to forget how time flies and earth moving implements wear out even being used only a few times a year.
  • propane1 said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Very nice. I'm glad the new point made a big difference.

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:05 AM

I plow at a plow match with my ferguson tractor. I came in last the first year, changed the point the next year and came in second. Points make a huge difference. Big difference from the old point to the new. Noel

The plow match is coming up in three week for this year.

Edited by propane1, August 09, 2015 - 07:07 AM.

• MH81 and coldone have said thanks

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:16 AM

The plow match is coming up in three week for this year.

Good luck, and take some pics for us.

• propane1 said thank you