Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Schooling On Case/ingersoll Please !

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 05:31 AM

I`ve apparently caught the Disease....I almost wrecked when I spotted the herd of Case`s at the auction lot I drive past every day on my commute to work. I have no real reason to buy one of these things but I`ve got the urge.... I don`t really know anything about these things and need a quick primer education before the auction tomorrow.

I saw the Hydraulic drive label on some of the machines and sort of understand but what other doors does this open as far as attachments, etc. Saw some with Hyd valve on rear fender for ??? 3pt ??

What are the difference between the 400 and 200 ...600 series.

Attachments for these things and how do you attach them ??

The 646 really grabbed my attention with FEL and 3 pt

I have a desire to get as narrow as possible rototiller capable machine to clean between the rows in the garden.30 inches wide would allow me to do 3 foot rows in garden.

My 1500 Ford is minimum 4 1/2 ft wide , the Shibauara 14 is 4ft and has a very capable tiller although it looks like ocean waves after I get thru the garden. The Gravely LI may be the ticket but then you leave the footprints behind...I`m also getting old and prefer to ride....get more than enough walking at work. The modern Scotts /Ardisam rear tine is only 20 inches wide but kills my shoulders. The real Original Snappin Turtle would work good to mow the weeds down but I haven`t figure out how to make it plow yet.

Sorry thinking out loud ...trying to justify my urge to bid on the Case tomorrow. I`m trying to read thru some posts here to learn what I can quickly but don`t have a whole lot of time today.  I don`t know how much interest there will be in this herd....this is Cub, A ,Super A and 100 series international country around here...no snow to plow or blow very often so I`m not sure how many buyers there will be. Man might be able to get a steal on some of these. The Demonstrator looked really interesting but may go for a high price...whats High??

What would be a steal for some of the different models and a what is a good price. Some are really good looking clean complete...just need an engine....value of them ?? I know I`m asking for a lot but I`ve always got good info and help on the  forum here...and it is always appreciated.!!

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 06:31 AM

The hydraulic drive is just that, a hydraulic drive motor. It is not a hydrostatic. Much simpler and more reliable.

On the older units, virtually any one sitting there that says Case on it, would have to have that rear mounted valve on it to run a tiller. That is the rear pto. Case mower decks and front attachments are belt driven, rear implements are hydraulic driven. Arguably the best gt tiller made.

The tan units are Kohler powered up to the 444. Red ones are Kohler powered up to the 224, the 226, 400 and 600 series are Onan powered.

There are things to look for, aside from a rear pto. To have good tilling tractor, you want the tractor to be equipped with a Travel Control Valve. That gives you finer control of speed.
  • Auburn David and JustinCase226 have said thanks

#3 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:27 AM

That is the collection of the recently departed Al Henderson. For more information go to this site as these guys knew Al and his collection and the situation. As hobbyists we hope that the collection does not go at scrap prices, then get scrapped and will offer any help we can. http://hydriv.ca/col....php?f=18&t=790

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:51 AM

So..Ingersoll and Case are kin???so now my little dig-it 188t is also a Ingersoll 8018 And a Case 648????

#5 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 09:26 AM

THANKS ALL

CAT....what Horsepower range on the engines.... and how do you identify the Travel valve. The rear lift and/ 3 pt ..are they driven by same pump/hyd motor

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 10:02 AM

The Hydrive is a nice system in that it allows the pump to be sized to provide lots of flow for hydraulic motor driven attachments. By comparison, a hydrostatic drive is a sealed unit with the piston pump and motor sealed in a single casing. Because it uses a piston pump/ motor it is more efficient than a conventional gear or gerotor type pump/motor pair. A small charge pump is used to provide external flow. The charge pump doesn't have the capacity to run log splitters or other hydraulic attachments. The Case system is nice and some people wouldn't have anything else, but there are some idiosyncrasies that make it a bit different to operate than a hydrostatic drive.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 11:55 AM

THANKS ALL
CAT....what Horsepower range on the engines.... and how do you identify the Travel valve. The rear lift and/ 3 pt ..are they driven by same pump/hyd motor

Last digit is the hp.

224 is a Kohler 14 hp.
446 would be an Onan 16 hp.

The TCV would be a large valve block under the tunnel and an extra hydro lever on the right side of the dash.

Same pump runs everything. Highest gpm and pressure on any gt by a very large margin.

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Last digit is the hp.

224 is a Kohler 14 hp.
446 would be an Onan 16 hp.

The TCV would be a large valve block under the tunnel and an extra hydro lever on the right side of the dash.

Same pump runs everything. Highest gpm and pressure on any gt by a very large margin.

Is this also true for the segmented pump?

#9 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 270 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 02:50 PM

I posted some pics in the  Garden tractor talk forum.  There are a lot of parts,tires, and implements in the aution.

One question I have is the Black colored 444? I have never saw that color before on a Case, is that a special edition of some sort?

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Yes, the Demonstrator is a limited edition. Unlike Farmall, they were sold that way whereas Farmall dealers were to repaint their white painted tractor once sold.

According to the boys on Tom Arnold's forum, it is a true Demonstrator. It is rare. Value? That is based on opinion and desire. To me personally, that one is worth double what a good condition 446 from the same year would be worth.
  • superaben and OldAllis52 have said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 03:49 PM

So..Ingersoll and Case are kin???so now my little dig-it 188t is also a Ingersoll 8018 And a Case 648????

I can't remember the years the Diggit was produced, but it is a repainted Ingersoll. Parts are available through one of our fine, upstanding, not a pain in the butt at all Site Sponsors.
  • Auburn David said thank you

#12 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 04:01 PM

I can't remember the years the Diggit was produced, but it is a repainted Ingersoll. Parts are available through one of our fine, upstanding, not a pain in the butt at all Site Sponsors.

I had been told(by you I think) it was an Ingersoll,but to hear its also a case...well...learn something new on here everyday,this little tractor doesn't know who its daddy is..LOL,Again thank you for the info and help!

#13 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 270 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 04:22 PM

I thought with that paint it was a special one. I have been thinking about adding a Case to the collection so that would be a good start. If not that one there are a couple of others there that will work for me.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I had been told(by you I think) it was an Ingersoll,but to hear its also a case...well...learn something new on here everyday,this little tractor doesn't know who its daddy is..LOL,Again thank you for the info and help!

Case is Ingersoll. And vice-versa. Colt invented the system, Case bought them. The Case garden tractor line was sold to Ingersoll in the mid 80's. Eastman Industries owns it now. They don't do much to promote it, but they still support the line with new units and parts.
  • Auburn David said thank you

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Case is Ingersoll. And vice-versa. Colt invented the system, Case bought them. The Case garden tractor line was sold to Ingersoll in the mid 80's. Eastman Industries owns it now. They don't do much to promote it, but they still support the line with new units and parts.

As always ,your full of info,Thank you,more for me to research..."Colt"and in the gun?

Edited by Auburn, September 20, 2014 - 09:56 AM.