#1 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image kohler help asap please
A few wks ago i rebuilt a 10hp kohler motor its ran pretty good just needed carb adjusted ! guy was coming to pick it up so i pushed it outa the garage & was going to start & fine tune carb ! WOULDNT START!!! So that really put a knot in my plow line cuz i had to call him back & tell him it wasn't ready after all ! I checked the usual & nothing obvious ! As not to drag this out this is what Ive done over the last three days !! CHANGED : points 3 times, coil twice, condenser 3 times, adjusted valves 3 times to specs 1 time by site, 3 different carbs & 3 different plugs & it does the same thing every time valves in 00.9 exh 00.18 plug gap 30 points 20 ! Anyway symptoms are as follows
crank,crank,crank & nothin, pull plug no gas in chamber so i figure vacuum leak right cuz gas pours out carb when i choke it with my hand over it ! it will fire one time maybe a pop pop but no more than 3 & that's all your gonna get till i go through the whole song & dance again & then you might get it to do it again ! i can feel good compression leaking off real slowly when turning it by hand but that's normal right? i can hear carb sucking air on intake stroke also so anyway im stumped & need new set of eyes to go over this & tell me what I'm missing they all seem to run together after a while ! Posted Image

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 11:39 AM

Sorry to hear about your luck, You've changed the electrical stuff, but do you have spark? If so, check that off, except for the plug... I don't see where you changed that. I also assume the wire that goes on the plug was changed.

I am running under the assumption that the leak off is compression release, but could it also be head gasket? What I know about Kohler engines could almost fill a thimble... I defer to the experts.
  • M&M13 said thank you

#3 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your luck, You've changed the electrical stuff, but do you have spark? If so, check that off, except for the plug... I don't see where you changed that. I also assume the wire that goes on the plug was changed.

I am running under the assumption that the leak off is compression release, but could it also be head gasket? What I know about Kohler engines could almost fill a thimble... I defer to the experts.

Sorry , yes plugs been changed got good fire all through wiring i tell you im stumped myself !

#4 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 11:51 AM

just a thought. Could gas tank cap vent be plugged? There is a stem that goes thru the carb that has the pick up hole for gas to go to the cyl. that gets plugged. check it.
  • M&M13 said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Have you tried putting a little gas in spark plug hole? I might try that just to make sure your getting fire inside the cylinder
  • M&M13 said thank you

#6 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:12 PM

just a thought. Could gas tank cap vent be plugged? There is a stem that goes thru the carb that has the pick up hole for gas to go to the cyl. that gets plugged. check it.

thanx caps not a problem but not sure wich hole you mean[attachment=7798:8520.attach]Also i know it does happen , but several carbs with the same problem at same time

#7 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Have you tried putting a little gas in spark plug hole? I might try that just to make sure your getting fire inside the cylinder

thanx yep ! thats the only way i can get it to fire once ! its got to be air or fuel problem & something that is normaly overlooked or simple mistake ive made somewhere

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Does the fuel pump push fuel out of hose good while cranking, unhooked from the carb?
  • M&M13 said thank you

#9 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Does the fuel pump push fuel out of hose good while cranking, unhooked from the carb?

well! it doesnt have a fuel pump its gravity fed ! Its getting plenty of fuel just out the wrong side of the carb
Thats it i bet ! i bet the earths gravity has changed & the goverment is just covering it up ?

CHECK THIS OUT TEXAS DEERE
http://www.outdoorod...nd-shoot-texas/

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Is the exhaust valve going completely closed, I know you said you check clearence, but did you check to make sure that valve is closed all the way??

Those pictures on the hogs are from a site out of Turkey, not Texas, LOL
  • M&M13 said thank you

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:40 PM

Does the plug have gas on it? Do you have enough gas in the tank?
  • M&M13 said thank you

#12 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:51 PM

Is the exhaust valve going completely closed, I know you said you check clearence, but did you check to make sure that valve is closed all the way??

Those pictures on the hogs are from a site out of Turkey, not Texas, LOL

YES ! valve is closing all the way ! i pulled head off again & checked everything one more time it fired up pop pop pop then died & thats all she wrote now its gotta kick back when i try to turn it over lol! I think its got a mind of its own 1

yeah i saw where they said it was in texas then turkey then saw where they were faked i may have sent you the wrong link

http://webcache.goog...=www.google.com

http://www.yourhoust...627cd259b0.html

Edited by APPALACHIAN EDGE, February 14, 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#13 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:54 PM

Does the plug have gas on it? Do you have enough gas in the tank?

yep! gas in the tank although it wouldnt be the first time ive done that lol! plug not fouling aint getting enough gas to the chamber to foul !

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 02:58 PM

I know this may sound stupid, but did you check for water in the gas ? You said it ran ,then you put it outside, and now it won't run. Could it be bad gas? I'm like you, IT SHOULD RUN .......:wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:
  • M&M13 said thank you

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 03:04 PM

You had the engine completely down? Are you SURE you got the timing marks aligned right on the cam/crank?
  • M&M13 said thank you