Will 42" Jd 216 Deck Fit A Jd 332 Tractor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 new332buyer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60932
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hello all.  I'm new to the forum and new to tractor ownership as well.  After searching for a garden tractor for several months, I located 2 in the same city near SATX.  After seeing the 332, I knew this is the one, but still saw the other tractor since I'd committed to do so.  I called the seller back to complete the deal, he was even kind enough to lend me his trailer so I could get the thing home.  Now with a big grin, I can say what everyone else says about the 332, that thing is a tank! 

This machine has a 50" deck, and I want something smaller.  I located a jd 216 with a 42" deck and would like to know if this deck will fit my tractor, or if anyone knows of any sources for used decks that I can check with.  Thank you all in advance for any info.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,342 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Are you limited by gates or landscaping on width? The reason I ask is the 50 deck is the nicest cutting deck you can put on that machine. There is a 38" deck available for that model. The mule drive will work going from the 50 deck to a deck off a 200 series, but I think the attachment points are different.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Did you buy it if Seguin? If so, I sold it to you. I can help you either way if you need help. Cat is right, the deck that came with it is the best deck for it. You can fit a smaller deck under it and I have a few if you don't want to buy another tractor just to get the deck.

#4 Littledeere ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Just to get back to your question the 216 deck won't work on your 332 .I have never mowed with the 38 deck so don't know how well it does even though I have one here.The 50 inch do mow pretty well they do even better with the speed up pulley Deere has for them.I bought a new style 48 deck thats works even better but that onlt drops it 2 inches on your width.  

#5 new332buyer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60932
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Thank you all for the information.

The 50" deck fits my gates, but with little room to spare.  My main reasons for wanting a smaller deck are that there is a drainage ditch that runs alongside my lot and I think it would be easier to maneuver the tractor in there with a smaller deck.  The second reason is that on tight turns, the deck slides laterally across the turn and just seems to put more stress/strain on the deck wheels.  Also, I'm thinking about setting up a 2nd deck for mulching only and using the other with the side discharge so that I can come back with the lawn sweeper to clean up the clippings.  I can swap the decks about twice a year.  During heavy rains, the clippings left behind collect along the fence line and low lying areas of my lot and simply don't look good there. 

I did buy the tractor in Seguin.  Great to hear from you Brian, hope things are going well. 

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 06:33 PM

I am currently using a model 41 (38" cut) 3 blade deck on my 120.  It came off of a 316k but were common on the closed frame machines.  I would guess you could use it on the later tractors but don't know what is involved.  There is also a later 38" 2 blade deck that is much deeper than the 41.  I am told those do a great job cutting but have not managed to get my hands on one for my 120.  The other catch about the early 41 like I have is that their weigh is carried by the tractor, not on the wheels.  The wheels are only used to prevent scalping.