• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 05:39 AM

How many of you happen to use a smartphone from time to time to get your daily internet fix if you don't have access to a computer all the time? I am just trying to gauge interest because if there is enough interest I am debating adding a mobile app mod that will allow easier browsing of the forums with.

I access the site a lot from my phone especially if I am at work or away. There are a lot of things that I can take care of or if issues arise I can take care of them too rather then waiting until I get home.

#2 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:51 PM

George

I don't have a smart phone, but I do have an Ipod Touch (a very recent purchase) that gets wireless when accessible. My vote is get an app, if it is not expensive and if it is not too much work for you or another person. I do check GTTalk when able to on the Ipod.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:37 PM

I know the majority of our users are not tech savvy but the number of people who have smartphones is growing at a staggering amount. Now a days they require data plans with them too. Besides using them on cellular data they can also be connected to wifi. I do have a mobile app setup for the site right now but it is an unbranded version and is free for the site to run. The problem is it costs the end user to use it which is $2.99 for the app for the device. They have a branded version where the site would pay the branding fee and then the app is free for the end users but their price is expensive and I can ever see us shelling out that kind of money to have a mobile app.

There is however another company offering the same thing except their branding option is a lot more affordable and is also free to the end user which is nice. It might be a while till I can make it happen but I think it would be worthwhile.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:26 AM

George, I like the idea of using an app. Maybe you can ask members to help foot the bill. I would pay for it, to use..

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 01:19 PM

I do have a mobile app setup for the site right now but it is an unbranded version and is free for the site to run. The problem is it costs the end user to use it which is $2.99 for the app for the device.

I don't think many or any of the members would squeal over a service with a one time app fee of $3. I've seen what my wife downloads on her IPAD and many of them are higher than that. Do what you think is best, but as for people that have smart phones, I think they will think the app charge is fine, appreciate the effort you put into setting it up, and there will be a less out of the site's coffers.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 01:48 PM

:iagree:

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 07:50 PM

:iagree:

:ditto: I doubt very seriously anyone that can afford that phone service would mind the one time fee. I can't afford that type phone service, but if I could, I'd happily pay for the app. Heck, unless I carried my readers with me, I couldn't read the screen anyway. I can barely make out the stuff on my plain old cell phone without readers...sometimes I can't at all.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Put the app on my wife's iPad. Seems to work just fine. Using it to do this post.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Put the app on my wife's iPad. Seems to work just fine. Using it to do this post.

Are you using the forum runner app?

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 09:16 PM

I setup the forum runner app tonight. If all goes good with a little testing I will make a post with directions on how to get it and a better understanding of what it is. I will also set it up on OPT.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I was using safari web browser before, the forum runner is simpler, but i'll have to find where things are... navigation is a little different, easier to see new posts tho.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Ya, I noticed it is so much easier to see new posts in threads that you are subscribed to. It is a shame it isn't that easy on the actual forum.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Ok it is setup on OPT now also. Should be able to use the same app to access both forums with. I will post a thread tonight with details on the app and what it is.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I was wondering how you thank someone from the mobile app? Didn't see any button, maybe I just didn't look at the right things?

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:40 PM

I don't believe you can, there are some things that the mobile app can't or won't ever be able to do. It is more of a supplement then a replacement.