#1 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Last Wednesday our land-line phone went out due to flood water.  There is a junction box in the creek bottom 1/2 mile west of our house, the top of it is showing to the left of the road in the center of the picture:  HPIM3193.JPG  

This happens once every 2-3 years & our phone goes out every time the road is flooded.  Apparently, AT&T can't figure out that electricity & dirty water don't mix!  We just had static & noises on our line.  I sent in an internet report early Friday morning, including about the junction box being under water.  We were gone Saturday & when we got home our newer phones showed "no line".  The repair ticket said it would be fixed yesterday before 8 pm.  I was home until 5:15 yesterday when the wife had a Drs. appt.  Got home 3:30 this afternoon from the farm & still no phone service.  Wife had seen a service truck at the junction box around 11 am today.  Called AT&T & of course just got the automated report service, waited for the automated test & was told the problem was not in AT&T's system!  So I opened the box on the on the house & found the line unplugged.  No way it unplugged itself!!!  My guess is that a service tech unplugged it Saturday & forgot about it!

I didn't like AT&T much before this & less now!  You can bet they won't discount my bill for the week without service!

I'll get off my soapbox now, thanks for listening!  ~~  Lowell

• Bill56, Gtractor, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 05:29 PM

AT&T doesn't care about customers. There is a junction box at the top of the road that has been mangled and wrapped in plastic for about 4 years now. Every time it rains the internet goes wonky. I have complained about 50 times and nothing has been done.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 05:31 PM

I agree 100% with you about AT&T.  The worse thing to happen to the phone service was when AT&T bought BellSouth for us around here.  I don't know if you can get it or not but Verizon has a home service for $20 @ month, includes long distance, voice mail and other features.  It is basically a cell phone service.  We have a small box (about the size of a router) in the living room and a base phone connected to it then we have 3 Satellite phones in other rooms.  No more land line except for the DSL,  If I could get rid of it I wouldn't have to ever deal with AT&T again!!!

• Bill56, grnspot110 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I agree 100% with you about AT&T.  The worse thing to happen to the phone service was when AT&T bought BellSouth for us around here.  I don't know if you can get it or not but Verizon has a home service for $20 @ month, includes long distance, voice mail and other features.  It is basically a cell phone service.  We have a small box (about the size of a router) in the living room and a base phone connected to it then we have 3 Satellite phones in other rooms.  No more land line except for the DSL,  If I could get rid of it I wouldn't have to ever deal with AT&T again!!!

Best check with them again. I was out at a house the other day where they were getting a brand new service from Verizon. It used 4G thru the cell towers and gives them high speed Internet.
  • Bill56, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:19 PM

This is great to hear. I've had cell service with Alltel and they got bought out by AT&T. I'm in a transition period now and it hasn't started out good already. Nice to know I shouldn't expect it to get better.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Agree with you totally... except we had Illinois Bell here. Been downhill service since ATT took over.
I'm going to have to check out that Varizon deal.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:28 PM

We recently dumped AT&T after having them a long time for cell phone service...too many problems. We got Verizon now & very satisfied.
  • HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 04:19 AM

If you ever get a chance to see the movie "The Presidents' Analyst" with James Coburn, take it. It is a sixties era spy type movie with the evil organization being TPC*. Its very dated but has some good laughs and some scary thoughts of government take over. Good Luck, Rick

*The Phone Company

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 04:50 AM

We got rid of our house phone and only use cell phones been of 5 years

#10 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 06:37 AM

We got rid of our house phone and only use cell phones been of 5 years

Cell phone doesn't always work well in our house, possibly because of the steel siding!  

Fortunately, I had changed internet from dial-up to 1Mbps wireless some time ago, just got tired of AT&T problems with the dial-up.  ~~  Lowell

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I haven't had a land line in my home since 2004.  I've exclusively used my cell phone.

My parents use Voice over IP through their internet service, as their cell phone reception is terrible at their home.

It's much more reliable and voice quality over Voice over IP is much better.  Land based regular telephone service is a thing of the past these days.  Company's that do still have those types of systems installed are probably doing very little to maintain and update them as the customer base is not very strong. 

Since you lost telephone but still had internet, maybe you should look into upgrading to a voice over IP setup and forget about AT&T! 

Between 2000 and 2008, total interstate and intrastate switched access minutes have fallen 42 percent.

• For the incumbent local exchange carriers, revenue from wireline telephone service fell to $130.8 billion in 2007 from $178.6 billion in 2000 — a 27 percent decrease.
  • At least 18 million households currently use a VoIP service, and it’s estimated that by 2010, cable companies alone will be providing VoIP to more than 24 million customers; by 2011, there may be up to 45 million total VoIP subscribers.
  • Today, less than 20 percent of Americans rely exclusively on switched-access lines for voice service.

That article is from 2009, but I bet their predictions were right!  AT&T and Verizon according to other articles I have read want to completely do away with their phone networks.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 18, 2014 - 07:05 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I wanted to do away with the house phone but the wife said no because all her family has the land line no (which we transfered to the Verzion home phone) and her old friend she hasn't seen in years.  But for $20 @ month I can deal with it.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 10:07 AM

If you go with a cell phone for the house, you can port the number. It would be a third line that stays in the house and has the old house number.

Just a thought.
  • HDWildBill said thank you