• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • Member No: 61956
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I just got a rebuild kit for the original cast iron fuel pump, and I am a little confused. Any direction would be appreciated.

In the picture below, my pump does not seem to have the screw labeled "Valve Plate Screw." It actually doesn't even have a corresponding hole where a screw would go. If there is no screw, what holds this in place?

Also, the second picture is a similar kit to what I bought, but what are the 2 things I circled in red?

I don't see anything in the original pump that are even close to similar?

Attached Thumbnails

• 104111.jpg
  • fuel pump rebuild kit.jpg

#2 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:24 AM

It could be possible the screw snapped off, but if it did, it was so clean that it is nearly impossible to see it. I am hoping this is not the case.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm wondering if the extra parts are a replacement for the "valve retainer" in the picture or perhaps parts of that retainer that gets replaced. If there isn't a screw to hold it together it looks to me that the final assembly of the 2 halves using the "assembly screws" is what holds everything in place. It looks like it would be harder to assemble without the screw. Since I've never had one apart I don't have a good feel for how it goes together.

#4 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:55 AM

There were two styles of check valves used depending on which specific pump you have and both are included in the pictured kit.  Since you don't have the style on the right I assume you have the discs on the left with the retaining plate.  If so, yes, there should be a screw holding the plate down.  As mentioned, maybe it broke off flush??

• Alc said thank you

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Can I ask where you found this kit? I have found kits with just the diaphragm, but not with the check valves.

#6 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Can I ask where you found this kit? I have found kits with just the diaphragm, but not with the check valves.

Ordered it form a place called "Then and Now Automotive" in Weymouth, Mass

http://www.maritimed...ohler_pumps.pdf

It's a real nice kit. Shipped to my door it was $33.

• Bmerf said thank you

#7 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 11:48 AM

There were two styles of check valves used depending on which specific pump you have and both are included in the pictured kit.  Since you don't have the style on the right I assume you have the discs on the left with the retaining plate.  If so, yes, there should be a screw holding the plate down.  As mentioned, maybe it broke off flush??

Thats what I am thinking now as I can't see how else it would be held in place. I am going to try and carefully drill and tap it, but that is going to be dicey as the screw is probably harder than the surrounding metal. I really wanted to avoid putting one of the plastic pumps on, but it may come to that.

#8 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thats what I am thinking now as I can't see how else it would be held in place. I am going to try and carefully drill and tap it, but that is going to be dicey as the screw is probably harder than the surrounding metal. I really wanted to avoid putting one of the plastic pumps on, but it may come to that.

SUCCESS! Now I just have to find another screw that would work.

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have heard war stories of these diaphragm not having the bolt holes made correctly.

Hope that problem has been taken care of.

#10 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 12:00 PM

I have heard war stories of these diaphragm not having the bolt holes made correctly.

Hope that problem has been taken care of.

Mine lined up just fine. The whole process of rebuilding the pump is finicky to say the least, but tractor runs great.

• KC9KAS and Rock farmer have said thanks