Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wisconsin s7d coil and flywheel install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 08:38 PM

I have a new magneto coil and flywheel to install in the Wisconsin s7d engine. Just like the Tecumseh's without a cutaway flywheel, how can I properly adjust the airgap of the coil and flywheel?
Any suggestions are greatly appricated. Thanks Adam

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 06:24 AM

I haven't worked with those mags in a while.... I think usually what I did was just eye it up.

Mabye Daniel will have some better advice for you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 09:20 AM

I trust my packing got the flywheel to you in good order? On the air gap, what I usually do is just slip the flywheel on, spin it, and if good hot spark I just leave it be, other than to make sure the coil mounting screws are tight. If I think air-gap is wide, or spark is weak, I loosen the coil just enough to where I can tap it in & out, slide it outward, then lightly slip on the flywheel. I slip the coil out till it hits the magnets, then in tiny increments, move the coil inward until it clears the magnets completely. There may be a more clinical method, but this is how I do it.

#4 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 08:08 PM

I trust my packing got the flywheel to you in good order? On the air gap, what I usually do is just slip the flywheel on, spin it, and if good hot spark I just leave it be, other than to make sure the coil mounting screws are tight. If I think air-gap is wide, or spark is weak, I loosen the coil just enough to where I can tap it in & out, slide it outward, then lightly slip on the flywheel. I slip the coil out till it hits the magnets, then in tiny increments, move the coil inward until it clears the magnets completely. There may be a more clinical method, but this is how I do it.

Dan, Thanks for the advice. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get around to putting it back together.