• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Anyone use rustolium paint in their spray gun..How thin doe's it need to be...  Paint thinner,,, or what to use to thin it out...

Wife wants our steel entrance door painted...  With no brush marks... :mad2:  wouldn't ya know it...

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:40 AM

I've used it , thinned with paint thinner , most times I use one of those cheap touch-up guns ( old fashion type not HVLP  )   .  I use  a clean coffee can and add paint then thinner until it's pretty thin , a little at a time , then use a paint strainer into another can . If it's still too thick I will just add thinner right to the second can without straining again until I can get a good spray . Note : I'm not a painter to say the least lol

• HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have gotten a quart of gloss black, thinned it, then spray a car fender that needed coated until I could get painted. Done some other small things with a gun that way too. I think I only thinned it maybe 10-15%, trial and error until I got a spray I liked. it actually turned out prety well with just a little orange peel, but kept the fender from rusting. only drawback, at least with the black I used, is it faded after some time. Maybe just due to direct sun, maybe cause I thinned, I don't know. I was using a $25 spray gun I bought at flea market.

• sodisr said thank you

#4 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I've used it with a regular spray gun thinned about 10-15% with paint thinner as the other guys stated. I was pleased with the results I got. I know it won't hold up as long as automotive quality paint but I had an old sears suburban I painted that held up pretty well for about 10 years or more.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 01:24 PM

Wife wants our steel entrance door painted...  With no brush marks... :mad2:  wouldn't ya know it...

That's what rattle cans are for!!

• HDWildBill and fogler12538 have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Anyone use rustolium paint in their spray gun..How thin doe's it need to be...  Paint thinner,,, or what to use to thin it out...

Well, let her paint it!

My neighbor told me a body shop painter painted his entrance door cheaper than he could have done it himself!

• sodisr said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well, let her paint it!

My neighbor told me a body shop painter painted his entrance door cheaper than he could have done it himself!

A lot of the tradesmen like that body shop man look for after hours work, and they usually have good prices. 

Ben W.

• sodisr said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:37 PM

A lot of the tradesmen like that body shop man look for after hours work, and they usually have good prices. 

Ben W.

If you ask the guy who owns the body shop, and he is close to retirement, you get told something directly opposite of that.

I used Rustoleum Gloss Black on my blower and parts of my mower deck. 8:1 paint to naptha.

Bolens snowthrower3.jpg

#9 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 01:31 PM

if I am going to spray several coats of paint  - the first coat is straight paint from my HVLP paint gun

lite sanding then thin about 10% for other coats

I use the same paint for all coats - it is the color than

if you use a different color for the primer coat  like white the next coat of paint will be a lighter color,

if you use black as a primer the the next coat of darker color

now if you paint a third time the color is truer to the color of the paint

• limebuzz said thank you