#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 04:44 PM

I Know there are few of you guys who raise turkey's like I do so I have a question.  I got home today and my 6 month old tom was laying on the ground with his heck all twisted around, not broken or hurt in any way just twisted around and bent funny, I picked him up and straightened out his neck but it just went back the way it was, does not seem to cause him any pain but he cannot get around like that and I will have to end him tonite.  My question is----- has anyone ever  heard of this and is the meat still good to eat??  I used to raise rabbits and it was common for them to have this f they were inbred for to many generations but I have never heard o fit in a turkey.

Pete

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Have you tryed google?

https://www.google.c...122.Yh1wBTpdZzs

#3 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I had a chicken do that, from what I understand its a vitamin deficiency.I got life lytes mega tabs from TSC that dissolve in the water. It took a few weeks but she is better than ever now. Hope this helps

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I did google it and think it was a fighting injury, there is allot on there about nerve damage from fighting and due tot he fact I have two toms and a very dominant hen I think it may have been fighting.  Going to have him for supper tomorrow nite :thumbs:.  Thank's fellas

• olcowhand and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I did google it and think it was a fighting injury, there is allot on there about nerve damage from fighting and due tot he fact I have two toms and a very dominant hen I think it may have been fighting.  Going to have him for supper tomorrow nite :thumbs:.  Thank's fellas

I'll be over about 6pm----don't forget the stuffing and tators with gravy

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Loong drive from Wisconsin, but the door is always open here.  I will save you a leg and some taters :thumbs:

• Bill 76 said thank you

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:59 AM

yeah i think your right about the fighting, usually when they do that the end is not far. we had a turkey that was a pet, all the others were food, he ended up getting beat up, acting like that. the kids and wife were upset and made me take it to the vet, i had him put down and we had a little ceremony and buried him. next thing i know im being razed with " hey john, did ya here someone took a turkey to the vet to be put down", i took a lot of razing for that but he was a pet and got treated as such

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I have seen that in both turkeys and chickens. You did exactly what would have happened here. I treat all the animals as kindly and humanly as possible, but food stock are food, and that is that. "Keeper" ewe lambs get names, all others are named Lambchop, but they all get the same food, water and care.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I have to admit I was a little upset, he was the only survivor from last years hatch and only tom from our old tom that had to go in a pot this spring.  he would have made a heck of a breeder for my flock.  I also have to admit he was very good with taters and gravy for supper tonite :D

• GTTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks