Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Just going to take a stab at this but are the new pads sitting correctly in the calipers once on and tighten  ? And just hitting the rotor top, bottom front and back , both side  ?

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Bill have you done an online search to see if anyone else has found this problem. It will be interesting to find out what's up with it.

I have Googled in every search phrase I could think of.  I did find one person said they had to run an old pad with a new one for a while then swap in the new pad. 

Keith, that does make sense especially with the post I found when I was searching.   I haven't measured exactly how much I have to back off the bolts but it isn't much maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 turn especially on the top one.  As I mentioned in the post above even when the lever goes to the bar I still get some brake action so apparently some pressure is working.  Mike is currently riding the bike to and from work so the idea is we wear the one pad down a little.  I figured on Friday I would bring it back in the shop and try to install the other pad and see what happens.  What do you think?

Like Daniel I would think you would have pressure even if the pistons are to far back.  I wasn't aware there is a by-pass mode in the caliper.

I would like to thank every one for their responses, once again we can see how helpful GTT is. 

• Alc said thank you

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 09:18 AM

I thought I would let everyone know we found a solution to the problem.  I saw a buddy of mine on Saturday and as were talking I mentioned about the problems we were having with Mike's front brakes.  He told me he had heard of the problem and the way to fix it was to install the pads then take a strap or what ever and pull the lever back to the bar, tie it with the strap and leave it over night.  Next morning you will have brakes.  We did that last night and this morning Mike has full front brake lever. 

I'm really not sure why this works except that it builds up pressure to allow fluid to get in behind the pistons. Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it better.

• Alc said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Glad it's fixed but that's an odd fix to me.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#20 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:55 AM

Good to hear it's fixed but dog-gone can't figure out why tightening the mounting bolts and pulling the lever back has anything to do with each other

• HDWildBill said thank you