#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:52 AM

So, has anyone used the plastic roofing material, it's a polycarbanite or some type of plastic as siding?

I have an old 10x10 lean two, it was used for the horse we had many year ago. Anyway, the old wood board sidnig is coming off, I just wanted to put something on it to keep the rain out. may son wants to put his "toys" in it when we move, but I can't be putting expensive siding on it.

I have used hte plastic sheets for small sheds as roofing, thought they might work as siding too.

Menards also has that heavy tar based corrugated roofing material on sale for $16 for a 48"x80" sheet, thought that might work too. 

Opinions on that stuff or suggestions for something pretty cheap?

• hamman, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:03 AM

It could be used, but will get brittle with age and be easily broken with a mower/weedeater after some time. Costs nearly the same a regular corrugated tin.

Check the pricing here.

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:07 AM

I used a piece of the clear stuff as a window in my garage.  When you are in there in the morning or evening, you can here it sliding under the fasteners while it is expanding or contracting.  Sounds like popcorn at a slower pace.  If you are going to use it for siding, allow plenty of room for expansion.

IMG_0904.JPG

• TAHOE said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 09:49 AM

I would go with the metal Marty, much more durable for not much more in cost. Just found this, if it's sold others normally pop up weekly. A lot of people order too much or wrong color & can't return.

http://cincinnati.cr...4644821028.html

Edited by Sawdust, September 16, 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 11:44 AM

I agree with the above. We used it as a window in the big cattle shed with similar results. Using the right stuff for the job at hand saves time and money in the end, and repairs always seem to be necessary at the least opportune time. The uses the shed is put to will change over time as well, and it's always nice to be prepared.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I may just get a couple big tarps and staple to the sides and tell the boy, be happy!  :bigrofl:

It may end up being our temporary rabbit barn while I get the other torn down then moved over to the new house.

I just need to look into pricing to see what wil be affordable, I have 3- 10' long by about 8' tall walls to cover.

• KennyP said thank you