• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:23 PM

The tractor is disguised with red body and silver hood, but you can faintly see the MW sticker under the paint and the yellow body that has been painted red. I read that the 1973 16hp vari-speed colors was a cream color hood and yellow body.

The badge is missing, but the Briggs & Stratton engine numbers are: model 326434, Type 0134-01, Code 7302061. So te Engine birth date is Feb 6, 1973. Is there any ther location that may have a Montgomery Wards model number? There is also a 42 or 48 inch mower deck. Do not know how to measure the mower deck to determine if it is 42" cut or 48" cut.Was the product  number on the mower deck stamped into the metal or was is a stick-on label? Where should I look. Looking for actual model number of tractor and mower deck or verification. Thanks.

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Does it look anything like this one? sdleeg.jpg

• boyscout862 and ktznz have said thanks

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Not completely, the headlights are on the outside of the hood and the footrests are solid. I will post a picture when I get on my own pc. I will also take some paint thnner to see if the silver paint on the hood will come off the labels.

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:49 PM

2uzrm3d.jpg

• boyscout862, Sawdust and PGHsteelworker have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 04:52 PM

This might give you some info..seems they all came with a roto-tiller https://www.youtube....h?v=onp963i0pMM

• ktznz and junkman have said thanks

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 05:03 PM

more good info https://www.youtube....h?v=eF07x4Qj4Wk

• ktznz said thank you

#7 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 08:25 PM

This might give you some info..seems they all came with a roto-tiller https://www.youtube....h?v=onp963i0pMM

My Wards 16hp Big Daddy looks pretty much just like the one in the pic and yes it came with a roto tiller. I wish I had not sold the sickle bar mower I had for it.

• ktznz and Auburn David have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 09:11 PM

The picture Auburn posted of the blue/white tractor was what you would have.

That series is called the Gilson S-Frames.

The model number is on the dash assembly.  Should be stamped on a tin tag.  It is a 5 digit number. 

Ben W.

• ktznz and Auburn David have said thanks

#9 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Auburn and Junkman and others:

Here are some pictures of the Montgomery Ward / Gilson. The tractor only has a hitch on the rear and there are two pulleys at front for running the front PTO belt to the mower deck. Still trying to determine where to find mower deck model number and/or size, as well as potentially the proper color and model number of the actual Montgomery Wards  tractor. Any help is greatly appreciated. ken  

P.S. Notice the missing badge area on the right side of the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• wards.jpg
  • 73_covered_deck.JPG
  • 73_Label.JPG
  • hydraulics.JPG
  • left_footwell1.JPG

• Alc, PGHsteelworker and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 09:24 PM

The picture Auburn posted of the blue/white tractor was what you would have.

That series is called the Gilson S-Frames.

The model number is on the dash assembly.  Should be stamped on a tin tag.  It is a 5 digit number. 

Ben W.

Ben: The color scheme of the tractor appears to be beige and white and here is no sign of a badge on the dash. I am extremely confused. ken

Attached Thumbnails

• dash1.JPG

• superaben said thank you

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ben: The color scheme of the tractor appears to be beige and white and here is no sign of a badge on the dash. I am extremely confused. ken

Your tractor is a repaint, and it originally was probably yellow and white. 

I am wrong about the serial number location.  I don't know what I was thinking about, but it sure wasn't Gilson.  It should be right behind the lift lever.  You can see the rectangle in the picture of my old 1970 that I sold awhile back.

IMG_5578_sm.jpg

Ben W.

• Alc, ktznz and Auburn David have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:38 AM

On the mower deck width, flip it over and measure the distance between the outer most spindles. Add one blade length to that. Should give you width of cut. May not come out exactly 42" or 48", but close.

• Alc, ktznz and Auburn David have said thanks

#13 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 11:18 AM

On the mower deck width, flip it over and measure the distance between the outer most spindles. Add one blade length to that. Should give you width of cut. May not come out exactly 42" or 48", but close.

Just came in from measuring the deck and got blades = 14", outside spindle center to center = 28' so the deck is a 42" deck.

The wheels are 6" in diameter and the rollers are side by side 6" wide each.  Thanks very much, anotrher bit of info collected.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#14 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:25 AM

An easy way to tell deck size on those, if all blades are the same length =42", if middle blade is short and outers long=48".  Those spindles are greaseable and the bearing lash is adjustable.  The original colors are beige hood, fenders, foot rests and kind of an off orange/yellowish for the frame.  Hydrosatic tractors have a blue frame.  '73 was the last year for starter/generator, they went direct start with internal 2 leg alternator in '74.  I have two '74 models, one my Grandpa bought new and one I bought at an auction.  They are tough tractors and had lots of implements available.  They did not all come with a tiller, but seem to be found with one a lot. I have a mower, tiller, snow blade, snow blower, brinly hitch w/plow, and a 4K watt generator for mine.  The tiller is a bear with manual lift.  The only Achilles heal is the variable speed, they have to be disassembled to lube and nobody did that, both of mine are eliminated and I have each setup with a different pulley.  One is fast for mowing and plowing, the other slow for tilling and snow blowing.  The 16 Briggs is a hoss and fuel efficient if you keep the carb set right.  Mine will just load the governor, then burn the belts off if you continue to crowd them, they don't stall.  That engine is also governed between idle and full speed, so it will maintain whatever you set it at. Virtually no parts are available outside of standard bearings and engine parts.  The engine is even getting harder to get parts for outside of ebay.  Montgomery Ward was built by Gilson, who was bought by Lawn Boy, who was absorbed by Toro. 

• Alc, KennyP and ktznz have said thanks

#15 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Sprint6

I am slowly looking at anything that may need replacing and so far, I see the idler pulley in front of the tractor and some major wiring problems. I am less than a novice and see the one headlight harness is incomplete, the PTO light wiring is wired to the ignition switch, but the other wire is just hanging as a 4' piece of wire. The ignition switch is kinda iffy, because I have to bypass the ignition switch to start it. I have documeted the current wiring harness and need help determining if it should start with a good ignition switch or if it has been modified. Once I get my documentation organized, I will post a picture of it soon.