Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 09:58 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Seller says it's a 1981-82, but I'm pretty sure that it's a 1984-87 2389s, since it has the 'right' decals, PS and factory installed Cruise Control on it.

Has a reserve and a $2,700.00 BIN price.

• blackjackjakexxix and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 10:04 PM

What a hack job loader add on...   I say its OP.

#3 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Sold for $2700.00 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411213814.466004.jpg
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 12:53 PM

That loader doesn't look right?

Its a #10 johnson some one did a bad job makeing it fit the tractor the factory loader would of been a #14 johnson.

• Bolens 1000 and Cat385B have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Didn't look all that bad to me, and if it's functional why beat up on someone that worked with what they had?

You want hacked/cobbled/ ugly/bad fitting?

THIS is all of that, and I don't give a dang because it does everything that I want it to, and it danged sure beats not having a FEL.

100_4094.JPG

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 10:14 PM

An HT23 is "small"? What world do you live in?

The HT23 had shipping weight of 1100 lbs. That is not considered "small" in the world I live in.

As for 2wd vs. 4wd, I put a LOT of hours on a 4wd JD 750 using a FEL, and there was really no difference when using it in 2wd or 4wd.

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 11:11 AM

OB,have to agree,my 1886 sure did a lot of work in its day,

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:45 AM

If you think 4wd and 2wd isn't much different in a compact tractor then you have a lot to learn. I think these garden tractors are awesome . That's why I'm here but not substantial enough for real loader work. Honestly I wouldn't buy anything smaller for a loader more less 2wd what a joke on a little garden tractor. Yea it's cool you can pick up stuff and move it around but as far as real digging etc hahahaha a lot to be desi

They must have worked quite well considering they sold thousands of these units!

It all depends on the type of job you have to do. No, these are not giant pay loaders and you can not pick up a house with them, these are for light farm work/ around the house work. There's all different machines for the kind of work you need to do and the space you need to work in, would it make sense to be using a massive 4wd tractor in a small backyard? 

When you use the right machine for the job you will not have any problems.

As for real digging, thats what a backhoe is for!

HT20_with_Brantly_loader_and_backho.jpg

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 06:11 AM

Yea they made so many you all crap your pants when you finally see one:))

They made these for many Brands.

Why all the hate towards Bolens?

There's no reason to make hostile replies.....

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 08:41 AM

If you think 4wd and 2wd isn't much different in a compact tractor then you have a lot to learn. I think these garden tractors are awesome . That's why I'm here but not substantial enough for real loader work. Honestly I wouldn't buy anything smaller for a loader more less 2wd what a joke on a little garden tractor. Yea it's cool you can pick up stuff and move it around but as far as real digging etc hahahaha a lot to be desi

I put 200-300 hours on that 750, so don't presume to think that I don't know anything about them.  I did a LOT of FEL work with it.  The only advantage I ever saw with 4wd while using a FEL was that it steered a bit easier when you had a full bucket, since our 750 lacked PS. With any down pressure on the bucket, the front tires have so little weight on them that having power going to them is pretty much wasted anyway.

As far as 'little", My HDT1000 (which is basically an HT23 with a 3 cyl diesel) with loaded tires and wheel weights weighs in right at 2000 lbs. That, incidentally, is the same weight as the JD 750.

It has 22 Gross Hp as opposed to the 750's 20 Gross Hp.  The 750 has a claimed PTO of 18 Hp.  There is no published PTO rating for the HDT, but given the fact that it is driven directly off of the engine via belts, it's most likely higher than the 750's because it doesn't have the mechanical loss associated with all the gears. Not to mention that the Bolens has a live PTO which the 750 lacks.

Other than physical size, the HDT matches up very well with the 750.

To tell the truth, given the option of using either one for FEL work, I'd go with the HDT simply because of the hydrostatic trans as opposed to the 750's manual.

I'm not claiming that the HDT is a 'better' tractor than the YANMAR built 750, but it danged sure doesn't take a back seat to it either.

Now, if you want to take the use of ground engaging implements into consideration, I will concede that 4wd does have an advantage.

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 22, 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#11 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 09:12 AM

With turf's and chains, quite well in the snow:

https://www.youtube....h?v=aQ2ohJMYK5k

With the CST Anclas on the rear, mud is NOT a problem:

100_4105.JPG

You really need to stop huffing the green and yellow paint.  It damages the brain :rolling:

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 22, 2014 - 09:15 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix and Rock farmer have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 09:44 AM

... You wanna put weight on the bolens but put more on the jd 750. I have news for you? Hook that jd 750 to the back of your bolens . That jd 750 drag that bolens into the ground. If you think different your nuts.

Of course it will, Lower gearing in the 750 plus more foot print with the tires for better traction. The 750 is better for ground engaging equipment, no argument.  However, we are talking about FEL use. 

In that case, and unlike you, I have experience in using both tractors with a FEL, and the JD has little or no advantage over a Large Frame with a FEL, and suffers in ease of use due to the difference in transmissions.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Oh cool yea you need to get off the bolens kool aid they went out with dinosaurs buddy . I have a couple farmall along with a deere and a 50 hp kubota. Use them on our farm. However your 2wd crap isn't worth anything with 2 ft of snow and your little tiller. You will never get it. Throw some miracle grow on that bolens and maybe it will grow up to be a real tractor like you think it is:)))

I think this thread has just about run its course.

The brand bashing and name calling is totally uncalled for. It seems like since you joined this forum you have done nothing but post complaints/ jabs at Bolens tractors and I dont know why.

Brand Bashing for no aparent reason will not be tolerated at GTT

Edited by Bolens 1000, September 22, 2014 - 10:20 AM.

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 11:03 AM

So you have a larger tractor, say 6' wide.  The job where you need to dig has less than 6' between immovable objects to work between.  Which do you want to do the digging....the small 2WD GT w/loader that fits, or nothing at all due to the large tractor not even able to attempt it.  You fit the job with the tractor, and get it done.  I have a Cat 910 wheeled payloader, and an old tracked hi-lift, but I use my Massey GT's loader all the time on our farm.  When you're digging with a FEL, the front wheel drive is almost or IS useless as the weight is off the wheels, or wheels off the ground all together.  Sure it's nice backing up the load, but I do just fine.

The work I do with my little loader is very substantial.  There's just so many jobs I do that NOTHING else can or will fit.

Sure I wish it had 4WD, but it doesn't and I still get all my work done that I need to do.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#15 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Any tractor can do only so much.....