• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 08:37 PM

checked the carb ,it is a 26 so I ordered a kit and will soak it tommorow and put it together the next day ,

soaked and put back together . the high flow needle was a little bent so I straightened it . tank had crap in it so I cleaned it out . now it runs good with just a touch of surging that seems to be getting better as I drive it around . could the bent needle be giving me grief ?

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#32 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yes the needle should be perfectly straight and clean. The main needle jet is probably still clogged a little as well as the air passage vents. It doesn't take much. I would dissassemble again make sure you clean every orifice, jet, and air passage. Clean the fuel lines and tank again and blow with compressed air. You shouldn't need to soak it in anything. Compressed air and carb cleaner is sufficient. Also make sure you have an appropriate in line fuel filter and fuel tank strainer.

It's probably running fine at lower throttle probably because the idle jet passage is clean but when you throttle up and fuel comes from the main emulsion tube and jet, there is probably still some junk in there blocking fuel.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• alec said thank you

#33 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Yes the needle should be perfectly straight and clean. The main needle jet is probably still clogged a little as well as the air passage vents. It doesn't take much. I would dissassemble again make sure you clean every orifice, jet, and air passage. Clean the fuel lines and tank again and blow with compressed air. You shouldn't need to soak it in anything. Compressed air and carb cleaner is sufficient. Also make sure you have an appropriate in line fuel filter and fuel tank strainer.

It's probably running fine at lower throttle probably because the idle jet passage is clean but when you throttle up and fuel comes from the main emulsion tube and jet, there is probably still some junk in there blocking fuel.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

every vent was cleaned and blown out . the needle is questionable for sure . the throttle bar is a little bit loose . I will replace the main needle as soon as it gets here . :thumbs: will update after replacement

#34 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:39 PM

This will sound strange, but have you checked the points gap lately? An improper points gap will make the engine surge as well.

• Alc and alec have said thanks

#35 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 10:22 PM

This will sound strange, but have you checked the points gap lately? An improper points gap will make the engine surge as well.

doesnt sound strange at all . I was going to but after driving it around a bit it decided to behave itself :rolling:

#36 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 10:47 PM

It doesn't take much throttle bar wear to allow air to be sucked in behind throttle plate messing up performance of carb

• alec said thank you

#37 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • Member No: 62429
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:23 PM

I bought a gallon of carb soak cleaner with a basket in it from NAPA. It isn't as strong as the old stuff I used 30-40 years ago, but it works!

Yeah it figures,,now the fuel is worse than 30-40 years ago and they are taking all the good stuff out of everything we use,,just like that old GUNK engine degreaser,,remember how good that stuff worked,,cant get the good stuff anymore...sad