#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 11:59 AM

I have been fixing tractors up stock for a while and time to think about another custom tractor. I would like to build another Allis custom tractor as I plan on going to the " gathering of the orange " event with my Allis garden tractors. I would like to have a round hood Allis B-10 with a catagory 0 three point hitch to use my 12 inch Brinley plow with. In my project pile I have an Allis B-10 frame with a bad bevel gear box and bad tranny. I have a 14 horse power Kohler engine and a parts tractor 1450 Massey/Snapper frame with the 2 speed hydro and three point hitch, no PTO parts left. Both of the Allis and Massey tractors are shaft driven from the flywheel side of the engine. The Allis frame is bolted to the bevel gear box right at the area at the front of the rear fender deck. If I cut the Massey frame at about that point, add a plate to the Massey frame that the Allis front frame could bolt to and have the driveshaft pass through I think it would work!
I know this might be thinking out loud and maybe the Wisconsin winter has caused a bit of " cabin fever " but I think it would be a cool tractor. Might have to call it a B-1450, or maybe a HB-10 Hydro Special. What do you guys think?

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like a good project to me, Mike. It would be fun to watch the pieces come together!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 01:31 PM

That should be a good project,I'd like to see that one in progress.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 05:32 AM

I got the parts tractors down to the garage and started working on this project. I grabbed a Simplicity parts tractor which is the same as the Allis B-10 frame. I will be taking the 10 horsepower briggs engine off and repowering this project with a 14 horse Kohler I have. I did some measuring and cutting and set the Allis front end up to the Massey rear end for now to get an idea of what it will look like. Lots of work to do on it but you have to start someplace. Here are some pics of my progress on day 1 of this project.
Hauling in the parts tractors. This is the Massey 1450 frame with the hydro tranny I am going to use.

allis massey project 001.JPG

This is the Allis/Simplicity tractor that will donate the front frame,steering and front wheels.
allis massey project 008.JPG

Here are some pics of the surgery so far.
allis massey project 018.JPG

Here are the 2 halves of the tractors set together.

allis massey project 022.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• allis massey project 005.JPG
  • allis massey project 023.JPG
  • allis massey project 025.JPG
  • allis massey project 014.JPG

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Mike you made a lot of progress in one day. Looks like it will work from here :D

Are you going to do something different for the rear fender and seat then the Massey 1450 seat and fenders? It screams to use the Allis fenders and seat.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:32 AM

It's looks like the two tractors will work great for you . Will you be able to add a deck or snowplow/blower ?

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:59 AM

My plan right now is to use the Massey fender/seat pan. My goal is to have the 3 point hitch setup on this to use my 3 point Brinly plow. I should be able to use the front mount Allis attachments, snow blade and snow blower and the belly grader blade. The Allis mower deck will still bolt up but I will not have the mid mount PTO pulley that normally drives the deck. A front mount mule drive might work to make a mower deck run but that isn't a high priority for me. I have several of the mower deck lift cylinders from the Massey and want to make the Allis front lift run off of one of the Massey's hydraulic valves.
My plan is to end up with a B-10 with a hydro tranny, cat 0 three point hitch and hydraulic lift. I have a rare right hand lift lever that I might put on this tractor. With the right hand lift lever and the front lift and rear three point all mounted and working I could mount the front dozer blade, the belly blade and a rear three point hitch blade and run them all at the same time.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:08 AM

I could mount the front dozer blade, the belly blade and a rear three point hitch blade and run them all at the same time.

Please take lots of pics, I think that would be cool!

As for the mule drive loss... If you put a pulley or sprocket on the drive shaft, could the bevel mount above or below and stll have room for everything?

#9 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Very nice project, I learned some things.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 07:37 PM

I had some time to work on this project today. I took off the Briggs engine and the upper frame work. I attached a piece of 2 inch channel iron to the rear of the Allis frame to help center it in the Massey frame.
allis massey 2 001.JPG

The Allis frame sits on top of a cross member that is already in the Massey frame.
allis massey 2 004.JPG

Here are the 2 frame welded together.
allis massey 2 010.JPG

I added a couple of steel plates to the front of the Massey frame to tie it in with the narrower Allis frame.
allis massey 2 018.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the frame as it is sitting ready to start installing the Kohler engine. I have to make some 3 inch high motor mounts to get the engine crankshaft to line up with the hydo input shaft on the Massey rear end. Then I will have to turn a new driveshaft and get it in place.
allis massey 2 015.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• allis massey 2 007.JPG
  • allis massey 2 013.JPG
  • allis massey 2 002.JPG
  • allis massey 2 017.JPG

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Coming along nicely Mike! Whatchya gonna call it? On the engien mounts, you could always make a U-jointed driveshaft & leave the engine down lower.

#12 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Daniel, I don't have a name for it yet, I'll see what it looks like when finished. I am raising the engine not only to get a straight shot for the drive shaft but the Kohler oil pan hangs down between the frame rails on the Cub Cadet but the Allis frame has a 3/8 " solid steel plate on the bottom of it also. By raising the engine 3 inches I don't have to mess around cutting out the Allis frame and I like the idea of a nice compact straight driveshaft as I am going to try to fit in a hydraulic cylinder and some other lift arm goodies within the narrow Allis frame.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Very good progress Mike, I can't wait to see it finished.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yep Mike, in your build a straight shaft is the hot ticket, but I should have known you had this all down solid anyway! This sure ain't your 1st rodeo! LOL

#15 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Call it a Snappey Allied Mass with a silly number like 1-50-14. Like a locker combination.