#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Looking for help or advice as to how we can come up with ideas on keeping our choke and throttle cables from getting rusty to the point of no return. I have come across numerous cables already that have so much rust build up in them, that penetrating oil just won't cut. I realize replacements are available and they aren't real high dollar items, but has anybody found something that we could use to either install or apply over the cables to help keep rain and moisture from penetrating through the casing and corroding the cables inside?

Just some ideas as to what I've noticed other collectors have used: gas line hose, electrical tape, and plastic coat. The plastic coat is actually a powder that comes in a can, and you simply add water to it to make it a liquid form. When mixed, you dip in it whatever it is that you want a plastic coating over. I believe it comes in three color choices: black, red, and green. Never used it before, but if anybody has, please post your results or opinions. 

On the 1968 140 restoration post by member ckjakilne (Craig), I noticed his choke/throttle cable seems to have a clear coating over it, so hopefully he'll see this post and be able to comment on what it is, and if he recommends on using it. I think I'd rather have a clear coating over the cables, instead of a colored coating. 

Any ideas or recommendations?

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't belief they make anything to prevent moisture entering the cable just delaying it. If changing to much hassle go to a motorcycle shop see a bought throttle cable lube injector tool. It clamps around cable to inject lube in cable. Then just figure a schedule of how often you need to lube.    

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Troy, I got the perfect idea for you, clear gas line. It probably isnt fuel rated but it works when you have a lot laying around lol. It has a few different sizes too. If you want I could chop a piece off and see what it looks like on a cable and post a picture. And if you like it I will send you a chunk.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 13, 2014 - 06:28 PM.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:03 PM

shrink tubing

just heat it up and it forms to the cables

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:21 PM

shrink tubing

just heat it up and it forms to the cables

lyall is right !!!

Shrink tube is the easiest, and best, way to protect the cables.  .....Shrink tube is available in clear, black, red, and several other colors.

The most practical for your use is 4' or 6' lengths.

• lyall, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#6 Brando ONLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:41 PM

I use PJ1 chain lube that I use on my dirt bike. Its sticks well and slippery so it lasts longer than penetrating oil IMO.
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:05 AM

lyall is right !!!

Shrink tube is the easiest, and best, way to protect the cables. .....Shrink tube is available in clear, black, red, and several other colors.

The most practical for your use is 4' or 6' lengths.

Heat shrink will shrink to 1/2 it's size usually, so get one that just fits and it will really snug up. You, being a detail guy, will want to watch for how the logo lays and that it's only on the one side. Some of it has the logos on both sides from what I remember.

Also, it will end up a flat finish. I assume if you used something like tire black, it would be nice a shiny.
For that matter, you might even try to paint it silver, but I assume it would flake off over time.
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:14 AM

I was going to suggest heat shrink tubing.

• MH81, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#9 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Grease is what I put in mine. Put it on a little at a time open and close the choke or throttle and re apply till I think it's good.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you