16 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm looking online at a used 3pt hitch log splitter that runs off tractor hydraulics.

I have several garden tractors that have hydraulics and wondering which one would be the best choice.  I would expect that the splitter would need to be turned into a trailer.

I have 3 tractors with hydraulics:

• John Deere 300 - has quick-connect couplers
  • Case 444 - has hydraulic lift, but no external couplers
  • Cub Cadets - 1650 - also has hydraulic lift and no external couplers

i really like the idea that I don't need to add yet another motor to maintain.

I'm guessing it's the Case 444 - but that would need parts to setup an external hydraulic connection.

Is there enough flow and pressure from the John Deere 300 to run the splitter?

#2 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 12:46 PM

I believe john deere actually made a log splitter for the 300 series. That would lead me to believe it should work.
Edit: it was pto drivenfbe2736f845faa2eb86a6bba1a52d9d4.jpg

Edited by richwoodrocket, September 13, 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• motobreeder said thank you

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:01 PM

The case 444 doesn't run on hydraulic fluid though, it is hydraulically driven via a pump. So if you're going to convert a splitter, then there's more homework to do. I know the 444 can power a 2 way splitter since case sold them, but they were $$$$.

I have a 444 with lines on the end and I want to power a splitter, but haven't gotten around to that yet since the splitter is hydraulic and the case doesn't use the same oil.

• Alc and motobreeder have said thanks

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:33 PM

But please, I hope people chime in, this topic could answer the questions I have and then I'll have my splitter going before we know it. :)

If you can power a regular Kelly log splitter off a case, I'm all ears, as I want that done soon :)

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:41 PM

I would think any of the ones in your list would run a splitter with problem.

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:43 PM

I had a splitter I made with an old trim pump off a boat,it was unstoppable...LOL

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:51 PM

My pump looked alot like this one nvodhd.jpg

• Alc and motobreeder have said thanks

#8 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 02:13 PM

with log splitters i found its more important to have pressure over flow. that being said if you used the jd it would work but wouldn't be fast, which isn't a bad thing. the other two would work but it would require more work to hook them up. 

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 02:21 PM

How much wood do you need to split, do you know the gpm required to operate the splitter you are looking at.  If it's a cat 1 splitter from a s/cut it probably needs 10 or more gpm.  I think the Case is the only gt you mention that flows around that rate.  Still a 1-way splitter can be slow, increasing the hours on your tractor engine, hydraulic system, etc.

The Case 2-way splitter is faster, reducing run time, these tractors aren't getting younger.  Case splitters are rare and expensive.  Add in a couple hundred for a rear pto, plumb in a case drain, etc, and you could get probably get a new tow-behind splitter for the same price, save a lot of run time on your tractor.  Or get a used one off craigslist for less.  Some of them stand up in the corner out of the way when not in use

Only extra maintenance on a tow-behind would be an extra engine oil change.  You'd still be changing the tractor engine oil more if you were adding run hours by powering a rear splitter.  

If the engine on a tow-behind ever craps out you can just get a generic 5 horse motor off craigslist for cheap, or a couple hundred new from an online supplier.  Otoh if you wear the engine out on a tractor with extra hours running a pto splitter you have to find a 14-hp Kohler or whatever that will fit your tractor's frame, pump, pto, etc.  Or rebuild your engine, hydraulics, etc.  Or spend 2k for a repower kit.  To me it seems cheaper and easier to pick up a used tow-behind for 500 bucks.

Of course if you're splitting under a cord a year GT splitter might be fine, just my .02 good luck

• motobreeder and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 03:23 PM

The 300 will be very slow. The Case would be my choice. Is there any reason why a hydraulic cylinder wouldn't work about the same using motor oil? (ie, the Case hydraulic system)

What year is your 444? Checked Ebay for a rear pto for it lately to see how much they're going for?

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Seems nothing I slap together is suppose to work..but it always seems to..LOL,now you folks go and tell me it wont work and it probably wont..my trim pump log splitter worked pretty darn good though I must say..the fellow I sold it too used it a couple of years and then made a lift (dump)for his pick-up truck,he still uses it today.

Edited by Auburn, September 13, 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Only the Case would work the splitter well.  Most all hydro charge circuits only put out 750 to 900psi, not enough pressure, plus their flow rate are mostly in the 2.5gpm range, while the Case will put out much higher pressure, plus around 8+gpm.

• motobreeder and Auburn David have said thanks

#13 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.

Sounds like I should just keep an eye on the internet and pick up a good-used, gas-powered splitter.

A Case or JD prefab splitter isn't cheaper (or less maintenance) and I'm not a fabricator.

I used to borrow my neighbour's splitter, but it isn't available anymore.  Usually about 4 to 6 face cord per year.

Also need to consider that he may want to borrow it.  Part of a tractor would make it a much larger liability.

#14 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:01 AM

Only the Case would work the splitter well.  Most all hydro charge circuits only put out 750 to 900psi, not enough pressure, plus their flow rate are mostly in the 2.5gpm range, while the Case will put out much higher pressure, plus around 8+gpm.

:iagree:

This one runs off the auxilliary pump for the FEL. Made from one 6" beam, one 3.5"x20" cylinder, a wedge, and a valve set. It mounts on the 3PH, but can also stand alone if the lines are long enough.

MTFAvatar.jpg

• MH81, Alc and motobreeder have said thanks

#15 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 12:57 PM

This one runs off the auxilliary pump for the FEL. Made from one 6" beam, one 3.5"x20" cylinder, a wedge, and a valve set. It mounts on the 3PH, but can also stand alone if the lines are long enough.

MTFAvatar.jpg

MTFAvatar.jpg

Tudor, can you give more information about this one??Like the Aux pump and such??

Edited by victor3ranger, September 16, 2014 - 12:59 PM.