• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 870 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 07:58 AM

hi all; once again i am asking your opinion on a tractor i thought i would not be interested in, but this site makes it hard when you follow it and see what others are collecting and raving about. ( im like a dog with a bone, i dont want it until another dog is interested in it, ha ha ha) well i have no idea what it worth think its a 1974, non running onan, deck needs work, front blade, tires hold air but are checked, been left outdoors for a while so it has surface rust, are these sought after ( or should i just send it to you, ha ha !!) onans are expensive to fix, i do have a really good running kohler 16 twin, repower? i do like round fenders, any idea of what its worth, i was thinking $100-150 for the tractor another $75 for the blade, where sears made by cub cadet, if so i have seen some of these chassies up here but the guys want $300-500 for them without motors to make pullers

#2 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 09:10 AM

I have an SS16 that I bought about three years ago for $100 that was in a very similar condition to the one you've described. It had a lot of surface rust, no mower deck, and a non-running 16hp onan. I got the onan running but not very well. I ended up spending more than I should have on the engine before I finally pulled the heads to check it out. Turned out that it had a cracked piston, broken piston ring, and a scored cylinder and needed a major overhaul. This surprised me because a compression check indicated reasonable compression on both cylinders and no indication of problems. I ended up repowering with an 18hp Honda twin and it's worked out great. It is now my primary tractor that I use for just about everything and is a real workhorse.

I agree that $100-150 for the tractor would be about right in it's current condition. I wouldn't pay any more than that. Onans are great engines but very expensive for parts. If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to pull the heads and try to see what kind of condition the cylinders are in and if there's a lot of carbon build up. If that part looks OK, I would then try to see if it would run or not and whether it smoked. You may have to pull the engine and do a tear down to really evaluate the overall condition of the engine. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  • KennyP and farmer john have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:39 AM

The 100-150 is what I would be shooting for as well. I think more like $50 for the blade tho, they are all over the place... But prices have been creeping upwards...

The Onans run smooooooooth when they're running right and expensive to make that way if they aren't. If there is a major problem, and you end up re powering, you might be able to recoup a lot just by selling the good parts of the engine.
  • farmer john said thank you

#4 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Love the sound of the Onan on my SS16, but as others have stated, parts are goofy expensive.

I would love to get my hands on a Sears blade.

• farmer john said thank you