35 replies to this topic

#31 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 08:44 AM

Kitchen sink line should be 2" by code but your right 1 1/2 pipe should wash itself out better.
I think it comes down to running enough water when using disposal .A lot of older houses had the kitchen
sink drain going out to a dry well separate from every thing else.Its a matter of time before the grease and
starch cause a problem .90% of the time the kitchen sink is the one that's backed up when i get there.

we have no code checkers where I live. House was built in 1923. The bathtub laundry, sinks, and floor drains all go into a seperate leech field seperate from the septic tank. Only thing that goes into the tank is the toilet.
  • hamman said thank you

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 09:10 AM

we have no code checkers where I live. House was built in 1923. The bathtub laundry, sinks, and floor drains all go into a seperate leech field seperate from the septic tank. Only thing that goes into the tank is the toilet.

Then the solids from the garbage disposal have no where to decompose and will eventually clog up your grey water drain.
If you have to keep the disposal, best get that sink into the septic.

#33 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Then the solids from the garbage disposal have no where to decompose and will eventually clog up your grey water drain.
If you have to keep the disposal, best get that sink into the septic.

Left side of sink with disposal goes to septic. Should noted that. I'm still half asleep and it's 1030am

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 14, 2014 - 09:22 AM.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#34 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 01:13 PM

A garbage disposal will reduce the overall life of a septic system, Insinkerator make one model that can go into a septic because it has a changeable bottle of enzyms that squirt in when used.I say why bother. So even if u are connected to sewer your sink line is going to get buildup inside from sending fats and starches down the line. Put the food in the trash and feed the birds at the landfill , they will thank u for it.
  • oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#35 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 08:34 AM

A garbage disposal will reduce the overall life of a septic system, Insinkerator make one model that can go into a septic because it has a changeable bottle of enzyms that squirt in when used.I say why bother. So even if u are connected to sewer your sink line is going to get buildup inside from sending fats and starches down the line. Put the food in the trash and feed the birds at the landfill , they will thank u for it.

I agree.  Ours mostly just gets used for whatever is left on the plates after dinner, and that my friend, isn't much in my family. 

I am going to upgrade the line to 2" and I told my wife after she uses the disposal to run the water for a bit to make sure it flows down.

• boyscout862 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#36 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like a good plan .
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you