#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:27 PM

My dad bought one of those. He had a plugged sink drain pipe. We were outside had the yard dug up and we cut the pipe, stuck that thing in there and we'll it built up a lot of pressure and it blew out of the pipe and smacked me right in the nose. Blood all over the place. Scared me half to death I thought the pipe explode and pic was stuck in my face.

we call those drain Mules cause of the sound they make.

• hamman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#17 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 573 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm into that everyday day and it doesn't bother me but one time I had to open a whole house sewage injector tank to unclog the pump .then I found a dead chipmunk in the impeller .dead smell and sewer smell combo.

For your problem , can u fit a clean out tee that has a threaded plug for easy access?
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 5,245 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:07 PM

For your problem , can u fit a clean out tee that has a threaded plug for easy access?

I could fit one at the top. There is one at the bottom that was able to clean towards the septic but not up towards the sink.

My plumbing repair skills is to take it apart and clean it or replace it. I am good for installing new stuff but I run out of patience trying to clean!

I might have some questions for you next week. Helping a friend turn a 2 story garage into an apartment. Next week is plumbing week.
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#19 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Been there, done that, but it doesn't bother me much. Things I have to do on the farm makes that minor.  I have nearly tossed cookies, but over much more horrid stuff.  Do stuff like this often enough, and it's not a big deal.  Still though, I feel for ya!  Great idea for the quick remove couplers.

I know that on my family's dairy, after we scraped the walks the whole junk pile landed in a pit pump that shoved it about 100 foot to a holding tank that then was emptied into the lagoon.  The pipe from the put to the holding tank was about 12 inch round, but some genius not only put in a bit of a 160 degree bend, but he also made sure that the pump had to push the manure up hill. Gravel would get caught in the lowest point (yep, it went down and then up) and Roto-Rooter was often out with the big rig to clean that stupid line when some stupid operator would fill the pump up with too much dry manure.

Ben W.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,732 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I've had that issue at my mom's recently. One of those little straws from a juice box got down the drain and stuck in an elbow. Eventual build up and it clogged, thankfully mom does not wash food and grease down, she knows he septic can't handle it. Drain pipes can really smell, I do not like plumbing.

I had to use one of those PVC screw type unions on a drain pipe cause of my stupid gluing order, got in a bind so it was only way to finish putting it together. Looking back, i should have just bought a rubber unions with two clamps, would've worked just as well for 1/3 the cost. 

If you are doing replacement or new plumbing for water supply, look into PEX, I won't go back to copper! 

#21 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 573 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I'll answer all the plumbing question u or anyone else has .Feel free to ask anytime.
If u use the secret password (Cub Cadet) I will reveal insider trade secrets.
  • DougT, Alc, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,658 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I keep a metal coffee can next to the stove for all grease--- a hold-over from the days when drippin's were used to grease a frying pan, bread pans etc. Yeah, I know, I'm dating myself yet again, lol.

I still keep the bacon grease.

• grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,336 Thanks
  • 9,200 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Imagine what the drain looks like at Al's (alleyyooper) house. Bacon grease and squirrel fur.

• MH81, oldedeeres and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,374 Thanks
  • 29,098 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Yesterday morning, I was installing a dishwasher for a customer. This guy is a real Mensa candidate. He had been having drain issues for a week and never told the scheduler that was the case. I could install, but he couldn't run it until he had his situation corrected.

By situation, I mean standing water in his one sink bowl, slow drain in the second... And he prepared fish two or three days ago and all that was in the sink too. I had forgotten what bile tasted like. Gawd it was awful, whole house stunk.

Here's the kicker, he didnt call the plumber until I told him he couldn't use his dishwasher. Plumber said it would be another day... Glad I wasn't the guy getting that call' he doesn't know what he is in for.

:thumbs: you kept it together and got it fixed. Stuff like that is never fun, just ask my wife how happy I was about her filling the leech field with "feminine hygiene products"

#25 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Last weekend, our pipes stopped draining.  The washing machine (main floor) flooded the cabinet under the laundry sink.

Found a dollar-store drain snake (was a gag gift - "Sink and brain cleaner").

Opened a connection and started poking around.  Finally got it through a blockage and whoosh.  Luckily there were no toilets up-stream, it ended up all over my face and in my ear when I turned my head.

I suspect that it was clogged with grease from the kitchen (further upstream).

Worst was my wife laughing at my predicament.  In my opinion, it was her doing - putting grease down the drain.

#26 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,973 Thanks
  • 6,737 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 11:20 AM

Too many people using garbage disposals now days think you can put anything in drains.  My daughter is like that. Potato peelings, grease and gooey stuff are worst. Big solids go in trash here, oils in a can to junk. My Mom always had the grease can by the stove too and used over for cooking, but modern women won't have such a mess!  Ha! Lucky to have women that even KNOWS how to cook more than just reading instructions on back of box!!

• GTTinkerer and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#27 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 573 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Amen glgrumpy, I always say there is no good reason to need a garbage disposal
Except for clogging up your drains . The trash is the best place for food waste.
Finally someone understands.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#28 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,537 Thanks
  • 5,245 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:32 PM

We do have a garbage disposal. If I ran 2 inch line down to the outside line would that help keep it flowing or just give it more room to build up?

#29 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,035 Thanks
  • 573 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Kitchen sink line should be 2" by code but your right 1 1/2 pipe should wash itself out better.
I think it comes down to running enough water when using disposal .A lot of older houses had the kitchen
sink drain going out to a dry well separate from every thing else.Its a matter of time before the grease and
starch cause a problem .90% of the time the kitchen sink is the one that's backed up when i get there.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,374 Thanks
  • 29,098 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:46 AM

We sell garbage disposals where i work. I don't own one because of the some of issues I've heard they can cause but I have recently considered it since getting on city sewage.

I finally decided reading this thread that we have a garbage CAN, don't need a disposal too
  • oldedeeres said thank you