35 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,748 Thanks
  • 5,367 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Got home from work today went down in the basement to wash out my dry wall pan. I smell sewer gas.....oh what's going on.

Sink drain pipe was clogged from the 90 through the basement wall to the breather. I don't mean clogged I mean packed with old food particles and grease.

I cut the pipe at each end and dragged it outside. Stuck a garden hose in it and ran it down. It seriously pushed out a sausage of packed food and grease about 20 feet long.

I went downstairs and bent a coat hanger to clean out the other parts. Glued couplers on each end and put it back together.

Another broken thing around the house that caused a problem. But oh well it only cost about 3 bucks to fix and some elbow grease.

I'll have you know I only gagged and retched a dozen times.

I'd post pictures but no one wants to see what came out of that pipe. It was beyond words. My wife said it was the worst smell she has ever smelled. I have honestly cleaned up broken sewer lines that didn't reek as bad as this thing did.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 12, 2014 - 05:37 PM.

• Bill56, hamman, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,993 Thanks
  • 2,716 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 05:37 PM

I'll let my wife read this post also ! I keep telling her not to run grease down the drain. Next time you think you have to do this take vicks vapo rub and put it in each nostril. Believe me it works.  Glad you got it fixed.                                                                Roger

• Alc, GTTinkerer, lyall and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,472 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 05:38 PM

But, she will still pour grease out of her pans down the drain and not even use hot water before or during the dumping of the pan. Headbanging!!
  • Bill56, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,229 Thanks
  • 30,214 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Been there, done that, but it doesn't bother me much. Things I have to do on the farm makes that minor.  I have nearly tossed cookies, but over much more horrid stuff.  Do stuff like this often enough, and it's not a big deal.  Still though, I feel for ya!  Great idea for the quick remove couplers.

• Bill56, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:02 PM

No grease down the drain here at all,we have septic tanks...dog or car gets all the grease( car burns used oil)

• Bill56, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,081 Thanks
  • 3,671 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:13 PM

I keep a metal coffee can next to the stove for all grease--- a hold-over from the days when drippin's were used to grease a frying pan, bread pans etc. Yeah, I know, I'm dating myself yet again, lol.
  • Bill56, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,748 Thanks
  • 5,367 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Been there, done that, but it doesn't bother me much. Things I have to do on the farm makes that minor.  I have nearly tossed cookies, but over much more horrid stuff.  Do stuff like this often enough, and it's not a big deal.  Still though, I feel for ya!  Great idea for the quick remove couplers.

22FL13_AS01.JPG

1.5" sch 40 pipe union.  Might do 2 of these next time it happens!

I usually have a strong stomach, but I this bothered me badly!

• hamman, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,993 Thanks
  • 2,716 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:19 PM

Not hijacking this post but when I was a kid we had a can of bacon grease near the stove also. (ya I'm old) that mom used to cook with. And I remember her using lard to grease the bread pans. We always had bread baking and sometimes even cinnamon rolls........ dang oldedeeres you're makin me hungry.   Sorry !

Roger.

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,804 Thanks
  • 8,090 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I tried one of the "bladders" from Lowes a few weeks ago. Connect it to a garden hose, Put it into the plugged pipe and turn the water on fast. The bladder swells up and seals against the pipe. The water then builds up pressure to push the plug through. After several unsuccessfull attempts doing it by the instructions(they say slowly), I did it fast and it worked. I let it flush for 5 minutes and cleanned up. We use empty orange juice cartons for our grease but some still will be on plates. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#10 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,839 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:53 PM

you were lucky that it was not under the basement (concrete) floor like mine was this year.

Had to rent a hand crank auger to clean out the pipe.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Not hijacking this post but when I was a kid we had a can of bacon grease near the stove also. (ya I'm old) that mom used to cook with. And I remember her using lard to grease the bread pans. We always had bread baking and sometimes even cinnamon rolls........ dang oldedeeres you're makin me hungry.   Sorry !

Roger.

yep,that how it always was at my house..but Crisco cans are made of plastic now...

Edited by Auburn, September 12, 2014 - 06:57 PM.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,748 Thanks
  • 5,367 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I tried one of the "bladders" from Lowes a few weeks ago. Connect it to a garden hose, Put it into the plugged pipe and turn the water on fast. The bladder swells up and seals against the pipe. The water then builds up pressure to push the plug through. After several unsuccessfull attempts doing it by the instructions(they say slowly), I did it fast and it worked. I let it flush for 5 minutes and cleanned up. We use empty orange juice cartons for our grease but some still will be on plates. Good Luck, Rick

My dad bought one of those. He had a plugged sink drain pipe. We were outside had the yard dug up and we cut the pipe, stuck that thing in there and we'll it built up a lot of pressure and it blew out of the pipe and smacked me right in the nose. Blood all over the place. Scared me half to death I thought the pipe explode and pic was stuck in my face.
  • Alc, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,748 Thanks
  • 5,367 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:15 PM

you were lucky that it was not under the basement (concrete) floor like mine was this year.
Had to rent a hand crank auger to clean out the pipe.

We actually have a hand crank snake my dad bought a few years ago. Handy thing to have around.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,748 Thanks
  • 5,367 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Not hijacking this post but when I was a kid we had a can of bacon grease near the stove also. (ya I'm old) that mom used to cook with. And I remember her using lard to grease the bread pans. We always had bread baking and sometimes even cinnamon rolls........ dang oldedeeres you're makin me hungry. Sorry !
Roger.

My grandmother used bacon grease for EVERYTHING. Cooking green beans? Spoon of bacon grease in there.
  • GTTinkerer, hamman, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#15 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,844 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:20 PM

If you have a septic grease is really bad. Have your wives call and get quotes for a new septic. I designed them for years you can buy lots of tractors for the price of new system
  • GTTinkerer, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks