• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Season is about here and I plan on filling the freezer up with some great eating Squirrel this fall. Has been several years since I did any amount of squirrel hunting and have heard of a different method than the slit in the back and pulling the skin both ways.
You tube has a bunch of video's to watch. Some the hunter is really slick and can skin a squirrel about as fast as you can say skin a squirrel and is done neat and clean with the slit behind & under the tail. A bunch are worth watching just to see WHAT NOT TO DO
First thing is to have a very sharp knife small enough you can handle it properly.
Second it to make the cut under the tail and break or cut the tail bone also make a cut part way around the rear legs to start the hide separation from them.
Then it is just a matter of having a good base to lay the squirrel on and be able to hold the tail with your heel.

4 more days and I am chomping at the bit and have a pound of bacon standing by to wrap some squirrels in.

101117_2616.jpg

101119_2611.jpg

:D   Al

• daytime dave, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I know of a couple I would like to skin.... they come into the barn under the open soffet then knock anything and everything off the shelves and then proceed to feast on my grain for the goats/chickens. They even eat all the mice poison pellets, but doesn't seem to phase them, they keep coming back for more.

• hamman, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:08 AM

There a couple of guys here locally that take a week every year and camp out and squirrel hunt. I got some from them on year and they were great. First thing I hunted with my dad as a kid. Learned a lot then and still hunt the way my dad taught me. Respect, safety, praise and thanks for the animals we hunt and eat.

Thanks for the info. Good luck and enjoy the outdoors. We start our Bear season here in a week or so. Then it's to the UP (Al you know where that is) for a week of Bear hunting up there. I drew a tag this year. Hoping to get one this year.                                                                                      Roger.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:24 AM

I know of a couple I would like to skin.... they come into the barn under the open soffet then knock anything and everything off the shelves and then proceed to feast on my grain for the goats/chickens. They even eat all the mice poison pellets, but doesn't seem to phase them, they keep coming back for more.

This is when you need to use a good pellet gun or a .22 with snake shot. I had 6 in the attic one time. They made a heck of a racket and did a bunch of damage until I used the snake shot. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 11:01 AM

The way I skin squirrel is to very carefully slice down the belly making sure not to get into any meat and work my hand in between the skin and meat . once I am all the way round I pull the meat out of the skin like" butta" then wash off any stray hairs I may have gotten on the meat. This way will pull every minute bit off , tail, toes, even the ear hide and nose !! Perfectly. BUT MAKE SURE IT IS STILL WARM OR IT WILL BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.
Nothin' says lovin like shake- n- baked squirrel yumm yumm!!
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I had a heck of a time the first time I tried to skin a squirrel. I asked an old timer up the road if he had a better way to go about it. After explaining to him how I did it, he told me I was supposed to kill it first.
  • grnspot110, hamman, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 12:49 PM

Now that's funny Classic!                                                                                                                                                                             Roger.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 02:25 PM

I've never skinned a squirrel. It sounds like you don't do them the same as rabbit.

• hamman said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 03:11 PM

I had a heck of a time the first time I tried to skin a squirrel. I asked an old timer up the road if he had a better way to go about it. After explaining to him how I did it, he told me I was supposed to kill it first.

:bigrofl: That's good!

• classic said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I could never like eating squirrels....too much like a rat with a tail.

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Back in the day, Olde Deere #1 and I skinned every fall at two mink ranches. I'm sure the same method would apply. Drive two spikes through the edge of a board about four inches apart so the points come up through the top of the board. Board can be vertical or fixed to the edge of a workbench. Hang Mr. Squirrel upside down with a nail through each back paw, tail up, his back towards you. Make an angled cut past each side of the anus, and one more across and below the vent to make a triangle bikini. Then pull the skin away from the belly, back, and down beside both hind legs with your thumbs. Hang on to the tail bone and a quick pull will strip the skin off the bone.A slash around each paw and along the leg from the bikini to the slash, hang on to the skin and pull down towards the head, slash around each front paw and remove the paws, pull the skin off those legs and down to behind the head, remove the head, et voila, naked squirrel hanging by two back paws ready to be gutted, hide with head attached ready for tanning.