• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 157 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:16 AM

Anyone here ever adapt another brand of mower deck to a different brand of tractor than what it came on?  How did it turn out?  I have two 1974 Gilson built Montgomery Ward 16s.  One was my grandpa's and was cared for and I have a decent deck.  The other I bought at an auction, and while not rusty, the deck looks like it was used for mowing, snow removal, driveway grading, etc.  Implements for these tractors are hard to find, they aren't popular and they are heavy, which is a recipe for scrapping.  I have a Sears Craftsman II that has a bad engine and was thinking about trying to transfer the lift cradle to the Craftsman deck.  These Gilson built tractors have a heavy cradle made on the deck that looks like it should be able to transfer.  Has anyone had good results with a brand to brand swap?

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Never swapped decks, i patched the lift points on a Wards deck used thin angle, bolts, drill, worked fine.

Craftsman deck fussy about linkage pivots, install the mounts backwards hole 1/2" off didn't lift right.

Try some measurements, cut in some angle iron for lift points, brace it underneath with thin plate, drill/bolt it. 

Main issue probably balance left/right and front/rear, also leave room for linkage adjustment so it won't bind up trying to lift.  May take some experiment drilling holes in mount points

Make sure belt lines up so don't slip off, good luck

• boyscout862 said thank you